'93 Passat GLX w/ loud tapping

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 01:28 PM
Default '93 Passat GLX w/ loud tapping

I have a 1993 VW Passat GLX wagon named Velma. Velma's developed a loud tapping from her front right corner. After investigating I found a connector rod and control arm bushing that had failed in that corner. I replaced them along with the ball joints on either side - for good measure - but the tapping is still there.

This is what gets me:
- sometimes the tapping goes away entirely. The more highway driving I do, the more tapping. I've even exited the freeway and had the tapping totally disappear. However, it's doing this less and less. The tapping is getting way worse.

-When everything is cold on the car the tapping isn't there. It's only after I've been driving for a while that the tapping starts, and then just gets worse and worse . . .

- The tapping is very rhythmic. It seems like there is a tap for every time that the wheel rotates. I believe this because of how the tapping increases relative to my speed.

I know it's time for a new car, but I really like this one. Her body is ok and I've spent so much time with her that I'd find it pretty hard to give her up. Anyways, I'd be really greatful if somebody would take the time to hazard a guess as to why my sweet Velma is behaving so ornery.

Many Thanks,

tim

Old 01-30-2008, 10:35 PM
Default RE: '93 Passat GLX w/ loud tapping

Just guessing...... sounds like Velma has a bad CV joint
on the right out side....(next to the wheel). Do both outside
joints and boots left and right axles, the inside joints almost
never give a problem, but check the rubber boots anyway.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:24 PM

SD,

Thank you for your insight. I'll check out the CV joint. Another symptom that I noticed is that the tapping always goes away when I'm coasting. Whenever I have the clutch depressed, and/or am in neutral, the tapping goes completely away. Is this consistant with a bad CV joint.

Thanks again immensely for your thoughts.

cheers,

tim

Old 02-02-2008, 06:01 PM

YEP.........sure is.