Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AEM CAI suppose to be that loud?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 12:32 AM
Default AEM CAI suppose to be that loud?

So I put in a AEM Cold Air Intake in my jetta last week. Which I gotta say has been the most tedious and longest CAI install I've ever done!

Now, I'm not complaining, but I get a nice loud turbine sounding whine, and when I left off the gas a pretty audible (enough to turn heads if I gun it then let off the gas) Pshhh sound. Almost like a blow off valve, but more hollow and softer. Also noticed that the engine has a nice deep sound at wide open throttle, or high acceleration, and not the old pansy sounding 1.8 liter sound.

Just wondering if anybody else with CAI has the loud air release?

Other than chipping.. any suggestions on the next effective, but not overly expensive mod to gain some hp? I plan on chipping probably around March.

Old 01-16-2007, 11:17 AM
Default RE: AEM CAI suppose to be that loud?

Yeah, i dont have a "CAI" but i do have the sound, i have a k&n panel and 3inch tubing leading from the bumper to the stock airbox, theoretically a Cold Air Intake as it pulls cold air from outside the engine bay. but i have the louder diverter and turbo spool. the reason its so much louder for you is because the DV releases back into the turbo inlet pipe a little way down from the MAF sensor, so youre opening it up and bringing the DV closer to your inlet and thus more audible, mine is a little further off but still the same concept.
i hear ya about the sounds man Nothing makes me happier after a long crapy day then the deep sound of my wide open throttle and turbo whining along with it.

if you can go for it, i'd say look at exhaust next.. i want to but will be holding off a while. heard it'll give you some not sure what kind of difference though