2009 CC Serpentine Belt Material in Oil Pickup?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 07:06 AM
Default 2009 CC Serpentine Belt Material in Oil Pickup?

Hello Everyone,

My son owns a 2009 CC. He recently had the serpentine belt shred on him, but at the same time he lost oil pressure (alarm in the car to shut off the engine).

We put a pressure gauge on the oil sensor port and verified he did have low oil pressure (12-13psi at idle).

He took off the lower oil pan and noticed what appears to be belt material all clogged up in the pickup screen. I have never personally experienced anything like this, but think it is possible that as the belt began to shred some of the belt material was pulled through the front main seal.

Anyone ever see this or have an experience with it? Obviously we want to be careful before putting the pan back on and patting ourselves on the back for a "near miss", but it seems too much of a coincidence to not be the case. Feedback and insight on this is greatly appreciated!

Attached is a pic of the material.

Thanks a bunch,
Jeff

Old 08-25-2019, 06:41 PM

I've seen a lot of stuff in oil pans over the years but this is a first.how did the ground deal look?Was it leaking?that would tell the tail.

Old 09-22-2019, 04:19 PM

Hi Nicholas,
Thank you for the reply. Sorry it has taken me awhile to respond.

The end result is that, the material was in fact belt material. We cleaned out the oil pan and pickup screen very carefully. We did not notice material anywhere else, including even checking for small stuff in the oil filter. No apparent damage to the front main seal, but we are keeping a close look weekly to see if any potential damage may show itself over time. I'll reply to this post if anything comes out of this beyond what we have seen so far.

We put everything back together again and oil pressure is good and has remained so since the repair (cross fingers!).

-Jeff