Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Use a little help whith thermastat

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 09:12 PM
Default Use a little help whith thermastat

Ok, I have a 1.8T Jetta, trying to change the thermastat, realising it looks a little tight to change.....is the easiest way to remove the alternator to get to it? IF so, well I took both bolts that hold the alternator in and it won't move!!! If some1 could shed me a little light on this that would be great.

Old 08-20-2006, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Use a little help whith thermastat

If you removed the bolts, you'd have to remove the belt, too. Take the radiator hose off the housing, housing is 2 bolts, and thermo is rite there. You may have to remove some the other crap that's on the fenderwell, I'm not sure whast's over there, but if you could squeeze your hands down there. Is this any help?? I have a VR6, not sure if the setup is different.

Old 08-21-2006, 04:36 PM

Anyways, I got the alternator off, got to the thermastat, changed it got everything put back together, fired it up.......and now it leaks...........so I beleive it's leaking where the thermastant flange bolts to the block..........not positive mind you............but I after I had let run I could here hissing, so started to sqeeze some of the hoses and when I squeeze the lower hose it goes hisses and gurgles.............I guess I didn't clean it properly................ Could I use sealant in addition to the o-ring for a better seal?

Old 08-22-2006, 01:41 AM
Super Moderator

The sealant is a good idea, I usually use like a wire wheel when cleaning the flange, the block just use a putty knife. If you use anything else, you risk chipping away some of the metal, then it will really leak.

Old 08-22-2006, 02:19 AM

Well your supposed to replace all hose clamps when you remove them, they don't have much strength when you open and close them frequently. Also, make sure the hose isn't dried out and cracked on the ends, they make gasket scrapers and a really good gasket removing spray if that was what you were trying to do...

Old 08-24-2006, 10:31 PM

well, got it changed out, no leaks...........but now it seems that the thermastat won't open. I started the car and let it run for a while with no cap on the expansion tank, got a bunch of air out, but still no go. So I dunno I give up.

Old 08-25-2006, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

I'm assuming you installed it the right way, it's not turned around?? Is the car overheating really bad?? Everything is serviced correctly?

Old 08-25-2006, 11:08 PM

YEah, the thermastat can only fit one way, otherwise the flange that goes overtop the thermastat doesn't fit properly. If I try to drive it, it overheats within 5 to 10 mins. So I've done a little more research, talked to a few people and well seems that many people were saying one thing in common. Apparently VW installed a water pump with a plastic impeller, meaning they disentagrate (I know it's not spelled right) to nothingness!! So yeah, all and all, that is my final conclusion. I looked in my VW bible service book to see what was involved in replacing the water pump, and well, yeah......Headlight has to come off, timing belt has to come off, rad expansion tank has to moved, powersteering resevoir has to be moved......I think there weas a few other things too.......So yeah F*** it I'm not doing that my self...........I'll just eat 400 bucks...............I can't beleive they cheaped out in installing plastic impellers!! I am choked.......I dunno man, I've had quite a few problems with my car, I'll only mention a head gasket at 64 000 kms and I'll leave it at that. As far as I'm concerned it's lemon..................I would certainly think twice about buying an other VW. For sure not impressed with VW quality vehicles! ANy1 else have anything to say?

Old 08-27-2006, 02:02 AM
Super Moderator

Very true, they did cheap out. Sounds like a lot of work just to change a water pump, I have never had to do that much work. Hope it works out!

Old 09-01-2006, 12:08 AM

So just got my car back from the repair shop. Four hundred dollars latr it no longer overheats. You should see the impeller. Broken in 3 pieces!!! I'm gonna take a picture of it and see if I can post it somewhere. So to all those people with 1.8T and 2.0, be weary that ur water pump may have a plastic impeller. IF for any reason you gotta get some work done to your car that requires the Timing Belt to be removed or replaced, changing the water pump would at the same time would be a good idea. The old impellers were made of plastic and the new ones are made of metal. Which would u prefer to have?