Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo weirdness

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 06:34 PM
Default Turbo weirdness

(I'm posting this twice - on the General Tech forum and here too)

Hey Drivers,

New to this forum, but have read a lot of the threads. Lot's of good information! I'm hoping for some help...

My turbo ('01 Jetta TDI) died on me a few months ago (about 120K miles, so not too upset). Dealer puts a new one in - all good, right.

Over the last month, very intermittently, I get the following weirdness. Start engine, begin to pull out, and there's no boost (I have a gauge). I can hear the turbo working and it feels like there's a little boost (maybe 60% typical), but nothing on the gauge. Then the Check Engine light goes on. After parking it and letting it sit for a few hours or overnight, everything will operate normally, although sometimes I will still get the light, even though the turbo's working.

This is VERY intermittent - maybe 6 - 10 times over the last month and a half. It seems like it might be temperature related, because it's cold where I live. But it's nothing as simple as warm - it works, cold - it doesn't. It also either is happening on the start or not - it never develops as I am driving.

Took it back to the dealer, who couldn't get the problem to re-occur, but based on the Check Engine code, told me I either need a new O2 sensor or a whole new micro-processor. Not going there, yet!!! Talked to my regular mechanic, who said the dealer's a crook - there's not even an O2 sensor on this model. He thinks it might be a little vacuum leak, or a loose electrical connection or something, but he also has to have the problem happening to check it out. Since then, it's only happened twice, neither times during business hours.

Anybody have any experience or knowledge about this??? Anybody...

P.S. The tag comes from when I get a little aggro with my driving - my wife grabs the dash, rolls her eyes and says "Jetta Drivers!"