Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is it shock or spring???

Old 10-29-2007, 05:56 AM
Default is it shock or spring???

Hi there... i need help, advise or a kick in the right direction...

I've got a 1987 Jetta 2 - lovely car, recently i rolled her, got it back from the panel beaters with a certified straight chassis. my problem is now if you look at her from behind she's sitting down on the right (the side that landed on the road in the accident) if you press on the boot you hear a feweep feweep sound and you can pump the right hand side up to almost level.

I took the car to a couple of shock people cos i thought it was the shock. 50% of them said shock 45% said spring and 5% said shock and spring. Now i'm female and don't know where to believe. Can anyone help me???????

Also the alignment was out and the back wheel was out by about a 1/2 tyre width - does that effect anything??????????????????????????

Old 10-29-2007, 11:34 PM
Default RE: is it shock or spring???

if you push down on the bumper to rock the car, and theshocks don't stop the bouncing within two up and down motions then the shock is bad. the springs do the hard work the shocks basically only prevent the springs from continuously bouncing. thats the easiest way i've learned to tell if shocks are bad besides removing them from the car.

misalignment causes excessive tire wear depending on if the camber, caster, or toe is out of alignment. other than that it causes your car to ease left or right when you take your hands off the wheel