Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 10:16 PM
Default Please Help!!!!!!!

Hello I need help please!! I just bought a 1995 Jetta GLS yesterday and come to find out the heat is not working now. I cheaked all the fuses and they are all working. No matter what setting or speed I put in on nothing blows out of the vents. I also noticed that the gauge lights stopped working also. Please help I need heat. Thanks

Old 01-21-2009, 05:46 AM
Default RE: Please Help!!!!!!!

The EXACT same thing happened to me, though the problem took a week or two to manifest itself. My problem was the water pump had worn out, but not enough to fail. The way I checked it was this:
I allowed the engine to indicate on the dash that it had reached operating temperature. Then I turned the heat on to the "dash only" function and felt the temp of the air coming out. It was tepid, not hot. Then I opened the throttle a bit so it was steady around 2k RPM. The air came out hot then. The idea was that the pump was not working efficiently enough to circulate coolant at idle, so I replaced it. Works fine now, and the part is only like $40. Well worth it!

While you're at it, consider changing out the thermostat (this may be your whole problem in itself), timing belt and belt tensioner. It's all right there, and based on your milage it may be a safe move. A broken timing belt will screw EVERYTHING up... Had it happen at highway speed in a Mitsu a while ago, and the whole top end needed rebuilt as a result.

A timing belt is around $20, the 'stat is like $11, and the big ticket item, the tensioner, is like $40 as well.

Small price for peace of mind, plus increases resale value- Save the reciepts and service records!

Good luck, now fix MY '95's electrical demons!!! (hehe...)

EDIT: Noticed that your dash lights are out also. I have THAT problem too... I noticed when I turned on the headlights at night. Needles are lit, backlights on guages not so much. I've been told that the rear lights also stay out-brake indicators still work. It's prob. a relay, but I have to get my GL running before I start to fry that fish. I'll watch this thread and see if you come up with a fix for this issue too. Thanks!

Old 01-21-2009, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator

You want a drive belt not a timing belt if you are going to replace it. The heat not working and the dash lights are two different problems. You need a new light switch and a new thermostat.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:05 AM

if the fan is not blowing it could be the switch they go out all the time
or you might have a bad key switch try rolling it back just a little add see if things start working

Old 01-21-2009, 03:25 PM

Hey thanks alot for the fast replys. But the problem isnt that the heat is not getting hot there is just nothing blowing out weather its on heat or a/c. I was thinkig its was the blower motor but all the checks Ive done so far is telling me its not. Thanks again for the help. I will try and replace the whole control switch on the dash tonight.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:26 PM

did you try the key switch thing i posted

Old 01-21-2009, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

Try Jrailers suggestion first. And it seems to me if there is no air being blown out and the fuse and relay are good then you've got a bad blower motor.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

Wait I forgot what the initial problem was disregard my second comment about the blower.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:33 PM

Jrailer what do you mean by the key switch? Where is that located? Do you mean the controls like fan speed,heat setting, and vent setting. Sorry. Thanks again for the help im freezing it only 13 degrees today plus I have to keep the windiow cracked to keep the window from fogging.lol

Old 01-22-2009, 09:51 AM

after you start the car with the key roll it back (the key) alittle and see if it starts to work