Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Planning for timing belt & water pump job on 2006 Jetta 2.0T BPY engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 07:31 PM
Default Planning for timing belt & water pump job on 2006 Jetta 2.0T BPY engine

Hello,

My son-in-law's 2006 Jetta with the 2.0T BPY / EA113 engine is allegedly leaking coolant. I'm gathering info & parts sources to replace the timing belt, water pump, & associated pulleys, etc. Got a few questions.

I've found a DIY doc that looks pretty good, but it's for the FSI engine. Anyone got a link to one for the TFSI / BPY / EA113? Not sure how much the turbo plumbing gets in the way.

I've gotten positive recommendations for the Bentley shop manual. Agree? Disagree? Alternatives? (I've never been impressed with Chilton / Haynes; always used the official mfr manual on all my cars.)

I've found three sources for supposedly comprehensive timing belt kits - Europa Parts, ECS Tuning, and DBC Performance. All apparently include the all-metal Geba water pump. Anyone used any of these kits? Opinion?

TIA

Bob

Old 12-01-2011, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Bob. Name:  VWwelcome.gif
Views: 140
Size:  951 Bytes

Sorry I can't recommend anything useful for the petrol versions only the Haynes manual but I can for the TDI Myturbodiesel

Old 12-05-2011, 07:11 PM

Yesterday I put the car up on jackstands, removed the bottom & lower right plastic fairing panels, and looked the engine area over for coolant leaks. I found orange coolant leak residue on the bottom of the pipe that goes up on front (right) of the engine, and also on the underside of the backing plate behind the crank pulley. I could not see any evidence of coolant leaking anywhere else.

I'm wondering whether the water pump is really going out (at only 47K miles!) or it just has a hose leak that I haven't been able to spot.

Wondering if anyone else has had these symptoms and what it was.

BTW, further research helped me realize that this car's engine is the FSI - I didn't understand the terminology at first. So I think the DIY procedure I found is indeed applicable.

As for shop manuals, I've gotten recommendations for the Bentley manual. Agree? Disagree?

Bob