Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0422 Code - Evap Leak [97 Jetta] - Post Pics? Please

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

Yes it's there somewhere. You need to replace those wires and plugs too though.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:59 PM

For such an old car it is ok to appear.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:32 AM

My 96' VR6 is having a nearly identical problem...
on top of what you described there is a sound id call a sputtering coming from near the left wheel well that seems to only happen when the car is up to temp.
until tonight i have only noticed it when i turn the car off. but i could have sword i faintly heard it while idling.
it sounds like it can be coming from my muffler or somewhere in that neighborhood.
im not exactly sure what the code that is coming up is but i know its for an evap leak.
any suggestions anyone?

Old 04-17-2009, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by EpiDeMiCc
My 96' VR6 is having a nearly identical problem...
on top of what you described there is a sound id call a sputtering coming from near the left wheel well that seems to only happen when the car is up to temp.
until tonight i have only noticed it when i turn the car off. but i could have sword i faintly heard it while idling.
it sounds like it can be coming from my muffler or somewhere in that neighborhood.
im not exactly sure what the code that is coming up is but i know its for an evap leak.
any suggestions anyone?
Check for a vacuum leak first. Just listen for a hissing noise. And that would explain the sputtering too. Does your car idle roughly?

Old 04-17-2009, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by John89
For such an old car it is ok to appear.
No it's not.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:45 AM

yes it idles rough.
and my rpms will drop for a second when i stop sometimes and my whole car will vibrate like it is going to stall.
when i throw it in neutral though the car idles a lot smoother.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:59 PM

yes it idles rough.
and my rpms will drop for a second when i stop sometimes and my whole car will vibrate like it is going to stall.
My check engine light is back, though I don't know why yet, but it's probably the small leak again.

I will have to go to Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts to get it checked. If you think its an evap leak then it might be the P0422 code, but you should get it checked out.

The same thing happens to me. If I stop in it in drive, then it idles a bit more than usual (I wouldn't exactly say vibrate in my case...occassionally the steering wheel will vibrate though), but if I put it in neutral it is smoother.

All I can say it hasn't been easy to fix. If I knew where all the vacuum lines were then it would easier, but its not over yet.

Last edited by Timetogetill7; 04-17-2009 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

yes it idles rough.
I think it's your brake booster vacuum line. The booster is connected to your brake fluid resevior and there is a vacuum hose going from that to the intake manifold (if you didn't know that already).

Old 04-17-2009, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Timetogetill7
My check engine light is back, though I don't know why yet, but it's probably the small leak again.

I will have to go to Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts to get it checked. If you think its an evap leak then it might be the P0422 code, but you should get it checked out.

The same thing happens to me. If I stop in it in drive, then it idles a bit more than usual (I wouldn't exactly say vibrate in my case...occassionally the steering wheel will vibrate though), but if I put it in neutral it is smoother.

All I can say it hasn't been easy to fix. If I knew where all the vacuum lines were then it would easier, but its not over yet.
Does it shift roughly from neutral or park to drive?

Old 04-17-2009, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by racerx002
Does it shift roughly from neutral or park to drive?
No I think the shifting is fine.

Quick Reply: P0422 Code - Evap Leak [97 Jetta] - Post Pics? Please