Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New converter??

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 07:10 AM
Default New converter??

Hello,
This is my first post on this board. I have a '03 Jetta GL, 2.slow

My problem is a check engine light/MIL that shows the error code 0420. cat efficiency. In addition to that, I hear an occasional rattling from the converter and have a whitish residue on the exhaust tips. Pretty much indicates I need a new converter?
I've gotten prices ranging from $ 1,200.00 to$ 900.00 for the total job from various places including the dealer.
Dealer wants $ 900.00 just for the parts. I found an assemly on line from Eastern Converters...they have a 5 year/50,000 mile warranty on their direct replacement converter...does anyone have any experience with replacement of the converter?
Thanks for your help,

Old 12-17-2009, 09:00 AM

Hello!

The P0420 code is rather common unfortunately. If you're getting that code that says "Below threshold bank 1" it could more than likely be a o2 sensor as well. Well, it could be a few things (cat converter, spark plugs, blah..) as there emission system is quick to trow a warning. There is also an issue where you will get that light for no reason. I read somewhere where VW will flash your ECU to correct the bug but I never look into it much further. I get the MIL with that code every once and a while, however, I just stop at Advanced Auto and have them read it them reset it seeing how I notice no loss of power or any other symptoms that it needs replaced. -This is the case for many other people to in which they just ignore it.

If you hear a rattling then maybe you should consider a new Cat or 02 sensors. A aftermarket or even racing exust maybe be cheapier though!

Another way to get rid of that annoying light would be to unplug the ground wire from your battery for about 15 mins. Leave the red on to avoid having to reset your radio code though!

- Best of Luck

Old 12-18-2009, 08:25 AM

Thanks for the response,

I've been driving the car for about a year now, clearing the code as they come on. I drove it from Baltimore to Montauk L.I. with the light on and it never missed a beat. Except for a radiator the went bad on the way home...but that's another story

Recently my son was driving it to school and complained of slugish performance on the highway at 80 mph. I did notice the white residue on the tailpipes and that lead me to a lean burn conclusion. I've been driving it for a few weeks now and it hasn't happened to me.
The rattling inside the converter was the key though. It definitely needs to be replaced. I think I'm going with the Eastern's converter as it's a direct replacement with a 5 year warranty. the website indicated it a high precious metal content converter so it should be good? I was wondering if anyone had used one of them before with success.
Thanks again.

Old 12-25-2009, 01:01 PM
Default Check 02 sensor

OBD Codes are diagnostic codes, not instructions on how to repair.

Just because a code mentions a car part does not mean the fix is to replace that part.

I have had this same code on my BMWs and the correct fix was the primary oxygen sensors, not the catalytic converter.

Good luck.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:30 PM

Robert,
Thank you for the response..I understand what you're saying. I really think it's the converter as when I hit it with my fist you can hear something ratteling around inside. The sluggish performance at 80 mph. leads me to believe that the "something" ratteling around in the converter, restricted the exhaust flow for a bit, until he hit a bump and repositioned it. So far it hasn't re-blocked the flow yet and the car is running fine.

There was a recall on these converters , but it ended at 100,000 miles. mine is at 117,000, sucks, as it's a known problem.

On the AVZ motors it's been extended to 120,00 miles. Mine is an AVH

Old 01-16-2010, 04:00 AM
Default Bad converter may be a warranty issue!!

On my 2003 Jetta GLS 2.0L, I was told by my dealer that Volkswagen will replace any catalytic converter with less than 80,000 miles free of charge because some converters were found to be sub-standard. The trick is getting them to do it. If your MIL is throwing, for example, the code for your FM radio antenna being bad (just kidding of course), they will somehow try to sell you on the idea that the antenna problem caused the converter to go out prematurely and that they must fix the antenna problem before they can replace the converter for you (at a cost of several hundred dollars too). Good luck!!!

Old 02-01-2010, 06:44 PM

Found a decent deal on a converter from a company called Race Pages. A company in PA. makes replacement converters for my car..with the AVH code engine. Total including delivery $ 237.00

Well. It didn't quite work out that way???

The converter I recieved had the 4 bolt flange welded on at a funky angle ( see pic)instead of 90 degrees to the down pipe ( as shown in the drawing from the bentley's manual)???

Needless to say it has to go back. I guess the only option is the dealer??? Damn. and their converters were the ones that went bad to begin with!!!

Attached Thumbnails New converter??-jetta-converter-001.jpg   New converter??-jetta-converter-003.jpg