Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang owner who screwed up a firends Jetta...HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 08:50 PM
Default Mustang owner who screwed up a firends Jetta...HELP

Ok everyone, I'm a noob here but post on Mustangevolution.com alot, so I know forum rules and manners....

I was hoping some of you may be able to help me out. My friend called me asking if I could help him put a head unit in his Jetta. His current stock one had stopped working and was punched repeatedly until the screen broke... he's an angry kid.

He had a 95 Jetta with a 97 Jetta radio, and was trying to put an old JVC in. We didn't have a wiring harness so I started to soder wires together. I got through the speaker wires without a problem and got to the power harness. I looked on the radio and the codes for the wires were KL30, KL31, KL85b, K-LR, S, and ALM. I found some info online that KL31 was Red wire and KL30 was ground. Not sure if this is correct but on to my question.

His bro wanted the JVC back, so I took it all back apart, and re-sodered the wires back onto the original harnesses. I got all the wires back where they were originally and them back into the dead head unit. Put everything back together and went to start his car.

Now heres the problem. I crank the car, and get a good noise like its trying to turn over, doesn't sound like a weak battery or a bad starter, more like the car isn't getting fuel or spark. So would cutting the ALM wire cause this you think, anyone heard of this happenening? I tried leaving the battery off it for 15 minutes but no go. It is a Premium Sound System unit in the car but it's broke, so I don't know if it's in Safe mode and can't type a code in cause no display.

Help?

Old 03-02-2006, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Mustang owner who screwed up a firends Jetta...HELP

What's the dealership say? Volks dealers are number one point of contact if we can't help you here, but then again it's hit or miss there, too....What does the ALM wire stand for?

Old 03-23-2006, 07:55 PM
Default RE: Mustang owner who screwed up a firends Jetta...HELP

ahhh yes i had the same problem (- the broken screen) what i had to do was disconect the bat. and then reconect and enter in the radio code from VW. considering you can not see the dsp. i would unplug the head unit and then try to start the car if oyu have not yet.

tony