Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jetta Starter Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 03:36 PM
Default Jetta Starter Issues

This ois my first post on this forum. I realise there are othern threads aboiut this issue, but they are pretty old and I have a specific problem.

My Jetta (99.5) has been parked for a while and wouldn't start when i tried to move it.

I tested my starter by connecting it directly to the batery (bypassing the solenoid) and it spun fine. I tested the solenoid the same way and it closed. I re-connected the battery and tried turning it over again and nothing, so I checked the solenoid coil wire for voltage while turning it over and it had no voltage.

I have checked all fuses and they are good. I just need to know if the solenoid wire comes directly from the ignition switch or if it is powered by a relay. I called the stealership and they wouldn't give me any answers unless I came in and paid for it.

I have also tried finding wiring diagrams of the ignition/starting circuit without any luck. Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum. Name:  VWwelcome.gif
Views: 450
Size:  951 Bytes

You need to do a proper starter system volt drop test.

Starter Circuit Voltage Drop

Old 05-28-2012, 12:45 PM

Im sure the solenoid and starter are seeing the proper voltage.

I found which relay controls the starter circuit and its coil isnt getting power. I took the cover off and closed the contact manually (with the key in) and it started. The relay I tested is the starter interlock relay.

When i tested the circuit i found out it kept blowing fuses (20a) and that there is a direct ground short somewhere. There are 3 relays on this circuit; the load reduction relay, interlock relay, and it also goes to the alarm system module. Since I would have to completely cut apart the wiring harness in the dash to find this grounding problem and fix it, im just going to leave the wire in there and run a new one myself to power the circuit.

P.S: The circuit that keeps blowing isnt the circuit that supplies the solenoid directly, but the circuit that powers the relay coils i mentioned.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

Do you have a workshop manual with a wiring diagram?

VW Golf & Jetta Mk2 Service and Repair Manual