Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jetta not starting in the moring but fine during the day while driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 05:08 AM
Default Jetta not starting in the moring but fine during the day while driving

I have a Jetta 1.8 CLX 1997. It has been a good companion, but lately, it does not start when it stood for a while, but when I push start it it goes and start every time if I make a few stops. The battery is new, the fuel pump relay is new, the coil I have checked and it cranks when I I start it. There is no spark when this happens.

Any help will be REALLY appreciated

Thanks
Katswink

Old 01-08-2011, 11:14 AM

It sounds like if you can push start the car, It is an electrical problem. My guess it is the battery, even though it may be new you may have something drawing too many cold cranking amps, you may be able to get a replacement battery from where you got your last battery or upgrade to a higher cold cranking amp. You may want to take it to a pep boys or adavance auto parts for them to run a free battery test to check your cranking amps as well as your alternator to make sure it is charging your battery. The battery may just have a bad cell in it, it happens and not much really to do besides replace it, most places will give some sort of credit towards a new battery. When the weather is extremely cold batteries tend to not want to start due to the molecules shrinking. This would explain when the car gets warm or it is warmer your car starts fine. Hope this helps

Old 01-09-2011, 02:30 AM

Thanks for your reply and advice. So what you say is that may be a short in my wiring system? I will take it to a auto electrician and see if they can help.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:46 AM
Default [Solved]Jetta not starting in the moring but fine during the day while driving

Just want to give an update of my problem.

My problem was solved by replacing the fuel pump relay. This made sense as when I push start it, I smelled fuel, which told me that it floods. While I drive it does not have time to flood. replaced it and Bobs your uncle!

Old 01-31-2011, 08:06 PM

I wish I would've researched this problem a little bit before I purchased my 2003 VW Jetta in 2008! I had the same thing happen on my 1998 Jetta GLS a few years back and opted to get a new car than fix what I thought would be a very expensive fix. I am now kicking myself in the butt...