Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 Jetta Water Leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 07:28 PM
Default 03 Jetta Water Leak

I'll occasionally notice damp carpet in both front footwells, but mostly on the passenger side. A mechanic claimed that the problem was a clogged A/C condensate drain line, which he unclogged, but I've had two instances of wet carpet after rainstorms, so it must not be the A/C. I've hosed the car down (it has a sunroof), but can't ID the source of this leak. Do Jettas have a reputation for this problem, and what might be the causes?

Thanks.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:36 PM
Default RE: 03 Jetta Water Leak

I have the same problem in mine. Also can't find the source of the problem. Mine is at the dealership and they told me that it's out of warranty, so I'm screwed. Complain to VW Corporate.
I think the leak is coming from the heat/ac vents, but I'm really not sure.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:32 PM
Default RE: 03 Jetta Water Leak

Well they found the problem. Turns out I had a clogged sunroof drain. Here is a blog I found that describesthe problem:
http://www.volksbloggin.com/2007/07/...-flowing-well/

Old 06-09-2010, 08:06 AM
Default Finding the water leak

My problem was drivers side, after a rainstorm, swimming pool. I parked down hill so I knew it was left front where the water was coming in.

Take a hose to your windsheild.
If your carpet gets wet having never sprayed water on the sunroof. Its probably not the sunroof vents everybody likes to blame.

The tray, trough, basically a gutter to route water below the windsheild where the wiper motor is attached, near there is an electrical box.

This is about 8 inches wide by 5 inches tall.
It has two nuts on either end to hold it in place.
Since plastic is not rigid and flows, the seal loses contact with the firewall and the plastic allowing a leak. This is a design flaw by an incompetent engineer. I worked as an automotive engineer for years designing seals and this is a crappy setup.

By pulling off the plastic gaurd to get access to the electrical box connector going into the car. If you can move the plastic cover and hear a squeak, you know the seal isn't doing a damn thing.

By taking a hose to the base of the windshield you can go to your dealer and flat out tell them its not the sunroof. Which should save you some time.

Good luck.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:49 PM

I would bet $100 that it's the sunroof drains. Happens to every single Jetta in production...and there's currently a class action lawsuit about it. Go here to see exactly what I did to fix the problem...not a drop of water since. (not my blog, but the best directions on the net...)
http://www.volksbloggin.com/2007/07/...-flowing-well/

http://www.volksbloggin.com/2008/01/...of-drain-hose/

Old 01-20-2011, 06:38 PM
Default leak

I have the same water leaks but not in the front, water is pooling behind the driver seat. Sunroof drains work fine poored water up in the channel and it came out just fine. Any other ideas on where it is coming from?

Old 01-21-2011, 11:10 PM

A guy with a Volkswagen i know had this problem with his he too has a sunroof water leak, he told me a quick fix was inside the door where it opens squeeze the nipple like thing and it will be a quick fix most times

Old 01-31-2011, 09:10 PM

FYI the sunroof draining problem has been recalled and any vw dealership will fix the problem with no cost to you. I received the information in the mail in May 2010 and promptly had it fixed due to a damp door jam I was starting to notice. The door jam has been dry ever since.

I was told however before they released the recall, that attempting to unclog the tubing in the door or even cutting it may fix the problem. I didn't trust doing it, so I didn't! Thank God the recall came out...