Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition problems.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 03:49 AM
Default Ignition problems.

Hello,
I'm going to give a little back story about my car before I ask any question, it may be important. My aunt bought the car from a private dealer, then she turned around and sold it to me, as a way to help me get a car. She only had it for a few months while she had a few things repaired, tie-rod, brakes and ignition coil which was supposed to make it stop stalling, or more like shutting off like turning the key to the off position. When I turn the key, all the diagnostic lights on the dashboard come on, as normal. When I turn the key to start the car, the starter engages, but the diagnostic lights go completely out and the engine won't fire until those lights come back on, almost as if no power is getting to the spark plugs. Does anyone know what's up with that? Could it be the ignition switch is going bad? Your help will be greatly appreciated. I also apologize if the wording here is a little weird. I'm trying to be as clear as possible.

Thank you for any replies.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Ignition problems.

It sounds to me like you may have a bad connection somewhere.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:32 PM

Thanks for the reply. I've decided to get a wiring diagram and go through some of the wiring to look for shorts, before I decide to attempt to replace the ignition switch, some of the car fanatics I know are telling me to replace the ignition switch. If that doesn't help, I'll take it to the auto electrician down the street from me. It may not be worth it, but I really love that particular car. Maybe I'll temporarily bypass the ignition switch altogether, if it is what my friends are telling me, with some toggle switches locked in my glove box and middle console. That'll be fun. Lol.