Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hard start

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 07:35 PM
Default hard start

On my 89 jetta with a 1.8L with digifant injection, it has a hard time starting in the cold(being below -15C), if I plug in the block heater it starts fine. The only problem is that I can't plug in my car at work. I checked the fuel pressure and is ok at 36psi, just replaced the air and fuel filters, and the coolant temp sensor about a week ago. When I took off my air tube to check the throttle body/plates I found that the wire screen covering the inlet, was disloged and had a spot of ice build up approx 1 inch in diameter, so I removed the ice, cleaned the throttle body, reinstalled the screen. I checked the MAF sensor and it moves freely, checked the temp door opperation in the air box and seems to be working alright, and the hot air tube is intact. I checked my spark plugs and they are still good(replaced with wires, cap and rotor approx 1 year ago).
Then to top it off, on the way home today it decides to have a loping idle from approx 1000rpm to 3000rpm, which is really annoying and it normally idles when cold at approx 2000rpm,I don'tknow if this is normal.This is really throwing me for a loop, the only leak that I know I have is the valve cover gasket is leaking oil, which I have and am going to replace.
If anyone can offer any advice or tips I would appreciate it.