Volkswagen Golf
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 Golf 1.8 Gas hard to start

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 01:31 PM
Default 97 Golf 1.8 Gas hard to start

I read the 'Won't start" post ,down further, and tried the points thing. Electronic ignition on mine,I guess. Still has distributor but no points.
Problem is, that it's difficult to fire up. If it does, I have to hold the throttle ay 2000 rpm's or it stops again, and becomes difficult to fire. I've killed 2 batteries, now I have a deep-cycle marine battery that just dies before it fires and takes 20 mins to fast charge, and I try again

The car has been sitting for 2 months in the cold of Ontario,but the temps are up above 5C today and tomorrow,so its easier to wrok on it now.
I've used a heatshrink gun to warm up carb. and incoming gas lines. I can smell gas, and engine rolls over easy. When it does fire, it sounds like 3 cyclinders some times 4.
If i can get it running its going in for a head gasket and clutch.
Could there be some water in the cylinders?? none in the oil.
And I have replaced the coil. that darn groundstrap from the coil to the valve cover has corroded off....could this be the trouble??
All fuses are good(beside steering column)

Any help would be good.
Thanks

Old 02-04-2008, 08:21 PM
Default RE: 97 Golf 1.8 Gas hard to start

If you had a lot of water in the piston area the engine
wouldn't turn over, water doesn't compress. It sounds
like several problems... but the carburator sounds like it
might be full of trash or water. A carb half stopped up
or flooding will give the symptoms your describing.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:58 AM

hey, uhhh... the thing you are calling a carb is the throttle body, very unlikely its the problem so stop torturing the poor thing with the heat gun. Heres a question for you, when was the last time it got a tune up? new plugs and wires? there's a way to test if they're still good or not if you are a little mechanically inclined. Could also be a vacuum leak.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:18 PM

Well, we went thru with the head gasket,head bolts and oil gasket....and throttle body flange.
The flange seems to be the problem. After some new gas and some gas-line antifreeze,it would start, but only run until it got hot, then sputter and stop.
You could spend the rest of the day,and all the batteries on the block,but you would not get it to fire again,unless it was cold. Not warm,but cold.
Solution,
During head gasket change,antifreeze got into the oil pan, during running and heat-up, the oil thinned so much that the 'oil viscosity' sensor ,at the oil filter mount,would shut the car down. Normally this light comes on when you are driving,and you must keep the rpm's below 2000 or .... the car shuts down.
So I changed the oil, some 20w50, a new filter, and she's been running since.

Except now, I have no heat. The engine temp is good, room temperature heat comes out, but no warmth,even on a +2C day you'd freeze to death if you drove anywhere.
I've replaced the coolant in the bottle and levels are good......is there a vapour lock or air trapped in the system??? how do I fix this??

Thanks,
R

Old 02-20-2008, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

20w50..where are you?? LOL...my mom's in Michigan and she uses 10w30 all the time..d#*n! Anyways, the heater core is prolly plugged or something is going wrong with it. That's at the firewall on the driver's side usually. Prolly gonna need a flush or something.