Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinding noise on driver side engine bay.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2020, 11:50 PM
Default Grinding noise on driver side engine bay.

I have a 2006 Jetta gli 2.0... I can best describe this sound as a muffled dirt bike or that wonderful sound (not so wonderful this time around) of you putting an aluminum can on your bike tire as a kid. Its gotten worse over days. In neutral it matches the speed of idle and as I accelerate in gear, it accelerates in pitch. I hit the gas to see if it would go away while parked in neutral a few times and one of those times the rpms stuck at around 3-4000 for a moment before returning to idle. It originally was only in 1st and 2nd but has progressed to all 6 gears and reverse. The sound seems to be coming from the driver’s side of the engine. The Previous owner didn’t change the oil and during my drive home the oil pressure light engaged and I changed the oil immediately after. Will upload a video in the AM for reference.

Edit: I read the codes and I have a bad pcv valve I need replaced. My unprofessional opinion is that it’s transmission related but I’m not sure if that could possibly be my problem. If I’m missing anymore information please let me know. I’m a newbie.