Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Erratic stereo behavior

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 09:17 AM
Default Erratic stereo behavior

Here's a stumper for everyone.
2001 Jetta Wagon with single DIN factory stereo, Monsoon. Using an iPod classic and a tape adapter. When I pick up the iPod, the stereo turns off. When I turn the stereo back on, it says "SAFE" then returns to normal operation. No code entry needed. Tried using a different iPod...same result. Tried a different tape adapter, with 2 different iPods...same result. Tried an iRiver T10 mp3 player with both tape adapters...no problems.

Summary...any configuration of either of 2 Apple iPods and either a Sony or GE tape adapter causes my radio to turn off. Not everytime, almost randomly. Small tic/chirp heard when this happens.

This has been going on for about 1.5 years. On about 5 occasions, it has required me to enter the code. When I enter the code, the stereo does not resume normal operation. It flashes something, perhaps a 1 and then prompts code reentry. Then it flashes a 2 and then just sits there for about 5 minutes, then it is back to normal. I know I have entered the correct code, then pressed the right side of "seek" as instructed in the owner's manual.

Anyone got any ideas??

Old 03-03-2009, 10:05 AM

you probably got something stuck in your tape player... recall when you put a tape on an old school stereo and push play... if the tape tangles itself the play button pops out automatically... but vw radios sense a short and mite cause the radio to turn off to prevent further damage... best advise... go to best buy the sell a wireless ipod connection that you jus tune the radio to a station and it works lol its bout 50 buks

Old 03-04-2009, 04:44 AM

Not likely...that wouldn't explain why power shuts off the exact instant I touch the iPod. No way it could be a mechanical issue with the tape drive.

Here's the same topic in another (and better) forum. Read the entire thread to see what has been suggested and tried.