Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead Key Fob

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 11:28 AM
Default Dead Key Fob

99 Jetta

I was wondering if anyone has ever had their key fob die on them. I've replaced the batteries and still cannot get the keyfob to work.[&o] I bought the car used and only received one key.

Any suggestions on what to do?

Old 10-31-2008, 11:47 AM
Default RE: Dead Key Fob

i am new to the VW area, but it just sounds like it needs reset to your car after the new batteries were installed, i read something about holding the lock buttom or something for so many seconds. I know one of the skilled guys on here can tell you inseconds on what to do ....

Old 10-31-2008, 12:34 PM

I tried that and nothing happens. You're right though, you have to have 2 keys - one in the ignition and the other in the door in the unlock position for ten seconds til the alarm sounds 3 times.(plus a few more steps...) It worked last time the batteries went but not this time - that's why I'm puzzled about what to do. UGH![sm=helpout.gif]

Old 10-31-2008, 01:21 PM

yeah these darn cars think on their own and act like they want too. Mine acts up sometimes, still figuring this out too. Well i hope someone else can throw in some input for ya

Old 11-01-2008, 07:20 PM

hey so i only have one key fob so if i can buy another one, is there i can program them, and what do i do about the valet key

Old 12-01-2008, 02:59 PM

It hasn't happened on my Jetta, but on my Audi, which has the same key, after putting in the new battery you need to recode the key. To do this, press the lock or unlock button, then unlock or lock the car using the key and keyhole on the door. This lets the car read the keys code. At least that worked on my Audi...it should be the same, its the same key.

Good luck!

Old 01-03-2009, 01:14 AM

I had the same problem with my 99' jetta. The funny thing about it was that I got it used as well and I was sitting in a parking lot 2 weeks after I bought it. I was pressing all the buttons on it and next thing I knew it had locked, unlocked, and even set the alarm off. Don't know what the cause of the problem was but the vw guys said it was because of the chip in the remote being loose. I replaced the batteries and it seems to do ok. The one thing that is frustrating me the most about it though, is that in order to lock, unlock, set off the alarm, or even pop the trunk I have to be right up on the car. Does anyone know what that is caused by and how I can fix it? thanks