Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car pulls to right and vibrates over 60mph

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 07:56 AM
Default Car pulls to right and vibrates over 60mph

Hello -

I just bought a used Jetta 2004 turbo, 48,000 miles. Seller claims it still has one year warranty, no copy avaliable. But, before I take it to the dealer to check it out and get told nothing is covered --it pulls to the right - not tire pressure, I had that checked, and when driving over 60 mph there is a discernible vibration throught the wheel, and in the drivers seat. Not agressive, but I drive a long distances for work and do hope this can be addressed and that nothing disastrous is occurring. No warning lights of any kind displayed. What should I expect the dealer to say?

P.S. I know nothing about cars.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:23 AM
Default RE: Car pulls to right and vibrates over 60mph

I had a similair experience with my car & it was a tire out of balance. They removed my tire & found some of that tire sealing stuff inside the tire that never solidified. They removed the gunk, rebalanced the tire, plugged the original nail hole & all is good now. Good luck. I hope your trouble is as cheap to repair as mine was. Keep us informed.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:51 AM

Sounds like you have a bad tire on the right front, a bad
radial tire will pull, and it's most likely out of ballance. If you have a vibration in the steering wheel, it's usually a tire
on the front, if the vibration is in the seatand not the steering wheel then it's usually a rear tire.Swap the right
frontand the right rear and see if the pull is gone, thevibs
will still be, but feel a little different.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:59 AM

Volkswagen has a problem with wheel bearings on Jettas. They will not admit it but mine went bad at 95,000 miles but noticed problems earlier. My mechanic has replaced about 10 -15 on Jettas and Golfs. He does the mechanical work for a dealer and does the necessary repair onUsed Cars they buy at dealer auctions for Resale. It is a problem with many VW he told me! Just a bad design orwrong wheel bearing for the amount of weight being supported by the front end, especially a Diesel Engine which weighs alot more. Volkswagen WILL NOT OWN up to this Bad Design! It might be bad wheel bearing too, I have a level 1 in Vibration Analysis and the ONLY way to tell is take a Vibration Analysis on a NEW front end with 2 NEW bearings and look at excited readings on bearings on axles with car being off the ground and reading taken. I found from my experience doing readings, the manufacture have made a bunch of bad bearings and GOSH would you want to pay for a 6 hour job to take apart the bearing support frame to re-install the new bearingon a Re-call ? VW would charge the 1 or 2 Tier Supplier for any chrges due to bad parts. NOT LIKELY! The only sure way to tell is getting the entire front end off the ground with tires removed and have a qulified Mechanic with stethoscope and listen on the backside where the axle enters and turn the axle. Sometimes the bearing is so bad just raising the car off the ground and spinning the tires and all you can hear the bearing grinding away! Good luck, Not a really difficult job, but make sure you keep the axle from hanging when pulling out of the wheel. You will need someone to press out the old bearing and press in the NEW one. Make sure you replace BOTH bearings on the bad wheel, there is an Outter and inner bearing. They cost about $85 for a set on-line. Dealer cost is much more!

Old 07-16-2009, 04:11 AM
Default Volkswagen has a problem with wheel bearings on Jettas.

"Volkswagen has a problem with wheel bearings on Jettas."????? You put 95000 miles on a wheel bearing and think it's a problem when it went out? Uh, you do realize that that's a wear part, right? Friction causing heat in a small metal part=wear.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:10 PM

If the car is pulling to the right than you need an alignment. The vibration is caused from unbalanced tires. It's not too expensive and you will notice a difference after it's done. If not, it may cause the tires to wear and you may have to get new tires.