Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Being ripped off/tricked by dealership?

Old 06-18-2008, 01:43 PM
Default Being ripped off/tricked by dealership?

Hi guys, I own a 2005 Jetta (the new body) and my sunroof broke to the point that it no longer opens and only closes half way (the other half sticks out). I dropped it off at the dealership as it is still covered by the warranty and they said that the repair is giong to be fully covered. However, the next day, the assistant service manager called and said that because I had my windshield replaced, and that the guy who fixed it put too much glue, they're going to have to break the pillars(?) and that its going to cost me 60-80$ per pillar.

The sunroof broke wayyy before I had my windshield replaced as at first he thought the windshield replacement is what broke my sunroof.

Should I be getting charged for the pillars that they "need to break" so the panel would not get "destroyed"? Or is this just a way to try and squeeze money out of me?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Remember: The sunroof was broke in a way that it had to be basically be replaced. The windshield was replaced along time AFTER the sunroof broke. THe assistant service manager states that the man who replaced my windshield put too much glue so it leaked in to the pillars? They said they can fix it without breaking the pillars but its going to leave a severe mark in my car.

I apologize for my very small knowledge of cars as it is my first.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:44 PM
Default RE: Being ripped off/tricked by dealership?

hmm thats a tough one, I would say try and take the pillars out your self but then they would prolly try and say that you broke something and it needs to still be replaced that and fooling around with airbags when your inexperianced isnt a great idea either (there's air bags under the pillars) I think your between a rock and a hard place, its either change it yourself and pay a ton for a new sun roof and go threw the hassle (cause it totally sucks to replace) or pay the little extra for them to do it. sorry im not more help bro.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:28 PM

okay so i might be a little clueless when it comes to the pillars but what exactly does that have to do with the sunroof? in my old jetta my sunroof broke completely...never worked for 5 years...i spent over $1,000 to have it not leak and it ended up being the motor sensor, both cables broke and it had also gotten off the track. everytime work was done...never was a pillar touched. to me...it sounds like they are trying to rip you off...but at the same time i dont know your dealership. some are good some arent...do you have another vw dealership you could take it to for a 2nd opinion?!

Old 07-08-2008, 09:44 AM

I don't see why they need to break a pillar in the first place. Have them explain why they need to break a pillar and then call some local vw mechanics to see if they agree. Who is the dealer anyway? If you live in Tulsa and the dealer is Brad Noe, don't let them do anything to your car, they mess things up all the time and they break things. Call Volkswagen up and demand that someone else fix your car.