Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 VW Jetta Rattling from rear of car issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 02:43 PM
Default 99 VW Jetta Rattling from rear of car issue

For going on 8 months now I have noticed in the rear of my Jetta there is a knocking/rattling sound that seems to have gotten worse as the weather has gotten colder. I've taken it to the mechanic several times and they've repaired numerous heat shields beneath the car but the source of this sound has evaded them every time I take it in. It will be easier if I present whats happening as points.

-The noise is not constant. The knocking I mentioned happens sometimes when I start the car and when I turn it off in the rear of the car almost like something is banging around.

-The rattling is present heavily when I accelerate but again its intermittent. The rattle used to just be when I was hitting bumps int he rear of the car but int he colder weather is happening when I accelerate as well.

I should also mention that my mechanic has checked out my struts, suspension and everything else that could possibly be going bad to cause this and everything is solid they said so what I am thinking at this point is there has to be a shield or cover to something that they have not found thats rattling away. I was wondering if anyone else with a Jetta has run into this issue before and if so what was the cause of it. The car itself runs very smooth and I've had no performance issues with it to make me think that it would be something up front thats manifesting down the line in the back. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

Old 01-30-2010, 12:18 AM

up for this thread..i have the same problem..