Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 Jetta GL - Battery can't keep a charge?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 12:14 AM
Default 97 Jetta GL - Battery can't keep a charge?

I've had my battery, alternator, and starters checked, all report as working and in good condition. I've checked, and re-checked all wires and fuses, nothing is wrong in that department either. I recently took the battery out to do some basic engine compartment cleaning. Engine has 90k miles on it, and I never had any problems till I removed the battery. Now when I attempt to start the car, at times it will either:

a] not work at all - and have 0% power/amp/NOTHING.
b] the alarm will just constantly go off [having to reset it by disconnecting the battery cables themselves.]

This is a 5-Speed, 4cyl GL. I've replaced the spark plugs and wires, bled the brakes, replaced the rotors and pads, and have done about everything I can think of - EXCEPT taking it to the local VW dealerships (which are a waste of time and money - learned that with my old 95' VW Jetta GL). I've also had the battery & alternators re-checked (just to make sure it wasn't a bunch of idiot teens working @ AutoZone) - and surprisingly neither are bad and report 'as new'.

Any idea's on a solution to my problems?

Old 01-12-2008, 07:55 PM
Default RE: 97 Jetta GL - Battery can't keep a charge?

What you're describing sounds like either a connection problem or a bad battery.

Is there any corrosion on the terminals? That could be a problem.
Also, have you installed any electrical accessories lately and did the wiring yourself? If so, a hot wire may be grounding out and draining your battery.
Is the jacket on the battery cables cracked or are they corroded on the inside? That could cause that.
When was the battery manufactured? Usually they last 4-5 years. To tell, they usually have a sticker on the side or top that has a letter then a number. For example:
D-06 which would be April 2006. The letter representing the month (A-January, B - February, C - March, etc.)and the number the year.
It is possible that there is a bad cell in the batery too. When you had it tested, was it in the car or did you take it inside and put on a charger to test it? Sometimes the handheld units aren't right. I've had that happen before.
Ihope this helps.

caleb