Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 Jetta Backfiring/Dying

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 12:27 PM
Default 96 Jetta Backfiring/Dying

Maybe someone here can help me, since i haven't gotten a whole lot of help elsewhere.
I recently purchased a 96 jetta GL with the 2.0, 5 speed. The car will start and idle just fine. So i took it for a short drive 5 min or so and it starts to stumble then backfires and shuts off. I recently changed the spark plugs, wires and cap and rotor.
So i tried starting the car letting it idle, and unplugging the MAF and noticed no change, then tried unplugging then starting and noticed the car runs worse with the MAF unplugged so i doubt thats the issue.Yesterday i pulled the throttle body, cleaned it. Pulled the MAF and cleaned it. I haven't started it since.I just don't know what else to look at, it seems once the car "warms" up it will backfire and die. I could start it up almost immediately but it would again backfire and die. If i let it sit for 5-10 min it would start up fine, run for another 5-10minand eventually die again once the car warmed up.
Oh and for anyone with a shuddering tach it might help to replace your cap and rotor. I figured out if you hold the shuddering tach that a clicking noise comes from the cap, i opened it up to find out the rotor was grounding out.
Checked the timing- looks lined up according to the diagrams i have been given.
Trouble Codes: P0301 , P0422 , P0501 , (pending) P0102 I don't know what most of them mean even..
One deals with piston #1 misfiring.. Could that be because when i got it the wires were switchedfrom #1 and #4?
And one is the speedo sensor, i figured that because my speedo doesn't work.
So whats the next step? Should i clear the codes and try again?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:27 PM
Default RE: 96 Jetta Backfiring/Dying

well i cleaned the MAF, and the throttle body. then Cleared the codes. And took her for a spin, and well nothing, no CEL, no nothing. So as of now fixed. Until something else goes wrong.