Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

88 Jetta starts, idles rough, but no accelerator response

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 12:52 PM
Default 88 Jetta starts, idles rough, but no accelerator response

I just bought an 88 Jetta Slalom, it's in pretty good condition but does need a bit of work to get it running it's best, and recently I've run into some troubles that have me completely stumped since I'm very new to auto DIYing.

I don't know if this is related or not, but in the two or so weeks leading to the current problem there were a few times when my car randomly lost power when accelerating and felt like it might stall, but returned to normal after a few seconds. It then had one incident where the coolant light went on while I was driving, but I was close to my destination, got there, parked, and everything was fine the next time I drove it. A couple days after that incident, one of my lights came on (can't remember which one, sorry) and my car stalled, but started back up and drove fine with no warning lights coming back on. Another couple days later I stalled when trying to accelerate from a full stop and had a hell of a time getting the car to start again, but it drove fine once I did get it started back up.

I was also starting to have trouble starting the car in the morning, and on one particular morning when I was running late, I pumped the gas pedal a few times hoping it would help the car start...well, the car eventually started, but I also lost pressure in the gas pedal. The pedal is completely limp and moving it has no effect on the RPMs. The car also seems to idle much more roughly than it did previously. I have started the car several times since that incident (to see if it was something that needed to just be waited out), and it starts up with no problem at all, but still has a very rough idle, and no change to the gas pedal. I can move the car in first gear and reverse by slipping the clutch. It doesn't stall while I'm idling it nor when I'm creeping on the clutch, and is not giving me the trouble it previously did with starting it.

Had an oil change and oil filter change about 2 months ago, but I checked it anyway and the colour and level is fine. All other fluids are good, except it's hard to see where the coolant level is, but I suspect it might need a little top-up (definitely not extremely low, but probably not at the optimal level).

So, if anyone can help me figure out what the problem is so I can plan my next course of action, I would be most appreciative. Thanks in advance for any tips or advice!

Old 01-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 88 Jetta starts, idles rough, but no accelerator response

See if your accelerator cable is loose and give the carb a good cleaning with Seafoam and a toothbrush.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:33 PM

well its an 88 so its most likley fuel injected. check your distributer cap, rotor, and plugs. my acted the same way and it was a cheap fix I just had a craked distributor cap

Old 01-02-2009, 02:15 AM

Thanks for the responses. I took a picture of the engine compartment today because I wasn't sure if I have a carburetor or fuel injection, but it looks like it's a carburetor model (please do correct me if I'm wrong - or let me know if I'm right...my knowledge in this is still severely limited). While I was out there taking photos, I decided to check how well the car is starting, and today the engine rotated but wouldn't start.

I am trying to figure out how to test the accelerator cable and clean the carb, so thanks for that tip and I'll post back about whether it helped or not. Any other suggestions or info is greatly appreciated as it will all help me learn what I need to know.

Also, could anyone tell me if this battery is a maintenance-free or maintenance type? I'm thinking it's the maintenance type, but it looks a bit different than the one shown in my manuals. Thanks again for the help.

[IMG]local://upfiles/8658/C0438586688F433DB9521253475E3E9E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-02-2009, 02:18 AM

Here's a better image of the battery.

[IMG]local://upfiles/8658/811C61B2CCF34D13BEAB84DBBA470539.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-02-2009, 09:11 PM

I checked the throttle cable and it does seem quite slack, it had about a half inch to an inch of play. Now, I am extremely inexperienced with auto maintenance and repair, so I have no idea if the cable slack is due to the lack of pressure in the gas pedal or vice versa...more information on this would be much appreciated. Also, any tips on how to adjust it? I am studying my Haynes and Chilton manuals, but I'm not able to spend a lot of time with the manuals down at the car until my daughter is back at school next week, but any tips or information will be most helpful. Thanks in advance.

Tried starting the car again today, and it is still turning over but not starting.