Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Jetta TDI Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 09:40 PM
Default 2004 Jetta TDI Problem

I have a 2004 Jetta TDI. I have been having some problems with it and apparently VW can't figure out what is going on. So I am hoping to maybe find someone else that is having or has heard of the same problems.

The first problem I had was periodically blowing white smoke on start-up. VW has told me this is because of a small coolant leak. Supposedly being fixed.

The second problem is after I took it in for some minor work three weeks ago (first time to my knowledge in a VW service center - had an alignment, recalls, and an IPod adapter installed) the car began acting funny when I was driving it. It is a standard five speed. The night I picked it up it began jerking back and forth while driving in third and fourth gear. The best way to describe it is to say that it acted like someone was rappidly hitting and releasing the excelerator. Sometimes it was barely noticable, other times I thought the car was going to fall apart in the middle of the road. It happens sporadically as VW can not get it to replicate. Although I have my disbeliefs that they aren't doing more than driving it down one street and back into the garage.

The third problem and most serious one is that two days in a row, the car has died in mid gear driving down the road. Wouldn't be so bad if that was all it was doing but the steering column locks and the car will not totally turn over and start for at least 10-15 minutes after it has died. Both times it did this to me I was on my way to work and never made it more than two blocks from my house when it would stall in first in the middle of an intersection. They tried to tell me it was my fault and that I was stalling the car out. However, I have been driving a stick for six years and I know how to handle a clutch...I am not stalling the car out...and that doesn't explain why you can't restart it and the steering column locking. They now, after repeatedly telling them that I would not pick the car up until it was fixed since I consider that to be a HUGE SAFETY ISSUE, they now say that the "tandem pump" is broken and are going to fix that.

A minor problem I have had is the front heated seats. They seem to not work in any setting except for level 5. Again as usual, VW can't replicate the problem and says that it is perfectly fine...nothing to fix!

I was just wondering if anyone else has had these problems or has any advice for me. This is my second Jetta (1999.5 2.0L before) and I have did not experience this many problems before. I've had the car a year and a half and I am quickly becoming soured on the service and standards VW is offering.