Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Jetta 2.0L Died and won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 09:14 AM
Default 2001 Jetta 2.0L Died and won't start

Heres my story, bought this 2001 Jetta 2.0L 2 years ago, I have had pretty good luck with it up until now, have only had to replace the alternator. Since then the car is shifting funny won't go into reverse 75% of the time without playing with the shifter and now won't move in drive without giving it a little has and getting whiplash from it jerking so hard, its like driving a 5 speed. These however are not the reasons I am posting..
Driving back to my office from a meeting yesterday morning all was good car was fine until I come to a stop light and the car acted like it wanted to die, I quickly applied the brake and accelerated a bit to keep the car running. When the light turned green the car felt like it was running on 1 cylinder, it had no power, I get the the next stop light and stopped then the car just died, i had to get out of the car and push it into a parking lot, once i got out of traffic I got back in the car and tried to start it with no luck the car just cranks and cranks. When cranking the car I can depress the gas pedal just a bit and the car will backfire through the exhaust, Whats your thoughts on what is wrong? Timing Belt? Coil? Check engine light has been on since I bought the car, Catalytic Converter Code, I have driven it for 2 years with the light on, anyway whats your thoughts?? Sorry to be so long winded I am just really frustrated..Thanks in advance...

Old 04-17-2011, 12:49 AM

i have the same issue. On the freeway cruising while all of a sudden the engine felt like it was going to shut off. I immediately exited and once i stopped the engine it would not start again. Good thing for AAA towing i got it towed back to my house. I am pretty handy with tools but lack diagnostic skill. Please if anyone can help i would deeply appreciate it.