Oil Filter help

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 08:18 PM
Default Oil Filter help

Hi All,

Was proud of myself the first self-oil change when I actually found the oil filter and successfully changed it. However, each time I open things up, I notice signs of leakage around the top cap of the oil filter receptacle.

Today, I watched things as I started it up after an oil change and saw oil literally streaming out of the seal between the receptacle and the top cap. This time, it became apparent that looser was better in terms of the seal being leak proof - I had it too tight and it was squishing the O-ring, allowing oil to leak out.

I think I got it right by loosening the top cap while the engine was running until no leakage was apparent. When I shut off the engine, thought, I felt the top cap and it was barely hand-tight. Is this right? It seemed like when the engine was running, the cap was way tighter than when it was off - is there some mechanism that tightens the cap automatically as the engine runs????

Also, lately, when I buy a new oil filter (STP), not only do I get the large rubber O-ring that clearly goes around the junction between the top cap and the filter receptacle, but I also get a tiny little one (about the size of a dime) that I've never seen before. Where does this go?

Any help is appreciated. Cheers,

JD

Old 04-27-2008, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Oil Filter help

I always have mine tight, it never leaks. That smaller one, does it go on the filter? I'm due for an oil change so I'll no here on a few days, I can't remember.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:09 AM

Hey bagel,

Thanks for checking. Turns out, it was the darned O-ring (big one) that was causing the problem. Don't know if STP has the size right. There was always some little gap where oil could seep out, no matter how tight or loose I made it. When I got rid of the O-ring, the cap itself formed a nice, tight seal - no leaks.

I'm still curious about the small O-ring. If you figure it out, please let me know. Cheers,

JD

Old 04-28-2008, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

no worries....welcome...will do

Old 05-15-2008, 04:40 PM

the small one is for a different car. and dat's da chOOf!

Old 06-03-2008, 09:41 PM

If your car is a TDI, the small "o-ring" goes on the bottom of the stem (filter cap)...it should be replaced at every oil filter change. Try buying a filter from NAPA (Wicks filter) I have had no issues with them.