New to group/brake issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 03:07 PM
Default New to group/brake issue

Hi everyone-

I am new to this group, having just purchased a '06 GTI Mk V. This is my very first VW.

While taking my car for a drive prior to delivery, i noticed a loud grinding noise and pulsation when braking from highway speeds (stopping ability seems unaffected). The salesman, who was riding with me, assured me the noise was normal and would go away after break-in. I have purchased numerous new vehicles but have never heard of this being "normal".

Anyway, I continued to drive and car and after 600 or so miles, the noise didn't get any better. I returned to the dealer and explained the noise to the service manager who indicated it was "normal for performance brakes to make noise". I insisted he have a technician take a look at the brakes anyway since I was there. Technician test drove the car and heard the same noise. Afterwards, the service manager indicated there was indeed something wrong with the brakes/rotors. He also stated there was a techincal service bulletin for this problem (I could not find it on the NHTSA website). Their first attempt to resolve the problem, which involved sanding down the new pads (??) lessened the noise but did not eliminate it. Manager indicated he would have to order new rotors and pads.

Has anyone else heard of or had a similar problem with the Mk V? TIA

RonC

Old 08-10-2006, 01:59 PM
Default RE: New to group/brake issue

ive had a similar problem, just with a differnt vehicle. One time after changing the brakes on my jeep they did that for about a month before i decided they werent going to "break-in". I changed the pads again with some ceramics the next time and it never happened again.