GTI tailight fuse keeps blowing everytime i turn the light switch.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Keithuk
Now if something blows this fuse everytime then you have a short on that circuit which you should be able to find with a multimeter.
I thought it was a bit of a risk forking out for a new switch when you hadn't checked out for shorts in the circuit first as I've said but people don't listen.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:21 AM

Well good thinkg i didnt buy one. I had my friend let me borrow his. I do not know how to check for short circuits. If u could explain whaat maybe needs to be done i can try to figure this out.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

Well ideally you need a workshop manual for you car and follow the wiring diagram. Disconnect the battery because if your testing for resistance with an ohm meter the a voltage source will blow the meter.

If you don't have a manual the Google it. For a start you can Google golf_mk3.rar

You need to test each circuit to earth if there is a continuity the that will blow the fuse.

Last edited by Keithuk; 03-04-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:28 PM

Will alldata have some sort of electical diagram. Im thinking the wire for the daytime running lights has a short circuit. You said i can find the short circuit with a multimeter? What should i be looking for when i use the meter?

Old 03-04-2012, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

I can't remember if AllData had wiring diagrams when I tried it last year.

You don't say where you live but in the UK we have Haynes Volkwagen Manuals it shows an 03 Golf anf for £21.99 its going to be worth it in the long run.

A Digital Multimeter from MachineMart are ok we use these as the College where I work and they is cheaper enough but don't go for the very cheapest anything from £10 will be ok. It must be DC for a car.

Now a multimeter will measure voltage, amperage and resistance. You set the meter to measure resistance on the lowest scale then touch both leads together and note the reading. I may show something like 0.02 ohms thats just the resistance of the leads. You disconnect the car battery as I've said if a voltage source gets into the leads while your measuring resistance it will blow the meter.

Then you connect the black lead to a good earth point and use the red lead to touch different parts of the circuit you are testing. If the meter reading comes close to 0.03 then that circuit is going to earth and blowing the fuse.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:29 AM

No im in the U.S, but ill try to get a multimeter. And i went on alldata. and they did have wiring diagrams but i dont understand how to read it. Ill try to take it to one of my friends shop and let him use a multimeter. Thankyou man for all your help! If i do find a solution ill post it up, but who knows when that will be.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:32 PM

Do you think it could be the headlamp switch thats short circuited? Since now when i turn the swtich, my illuminations doesnt work either.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by lianyu
Do you think it could be the headlamp switch thats short circuited? Since now when i turn the swtich, my illuminations doesnt work either.
its a possibility, you need to check all your fuses first. See if u can borrow someone else's first before going out and buying one