GTI MK4 City Lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 04:24 PM
Jsd
Default RE: GTI MK4 City Lights

Bah! Somethin doesn't sound right! Not one car I have ever come across did you have to remove the bumper for the headlights. I could be wrong but i'd maybe find a manual for your car, which you can pick up at most general automotive parts stores, or ebay etc etc and find out. It's good to have the manual anyways.

-Jeff

Old 08-04-2006, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Are you just wanting to replace the headlight bulb itself? Is it burnt out or what's the problem..sounds a little unclear. My car, there'sa colar on the wire bundle, you have to unscrew that and then the the bulb willl need to be turned and it will slide out, I think it's counter-clockwise, but yours maybe different. Hope this helps, other wise be a little more specific please.

Old 08-04-2006, 08:50 PM

i have replaced the head lights already... im talking about the small litlle like 194 size bulbs under the highbeam headlight bulb.... its called a "city light." the actual head light assembly is held in by four bolts two on top which are very easy to get to, the two on the bottom are behind the bumper, to get to them you must remove the bumper.

the actual city light socket is in the back of the headlight assembly i can see it and i can get the cover off the back of it, once you do that you can see the black and the red wires running into the bulb through a little black plastic clip, that i can't figure out how to get out... it turns forever without comiing out. you can grab the two sides of the clip and try to pull it out nothing is working.

If you guys haven't tried replacing yours you probably don't really know what i mean... but yeah

thanks for any help

Ben

Old 08-07-2006, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

I know what you're talking about....you can twist all day yes, but if it will come out by pulling with some force, turn it until it frees, and then pull, I used pliers. Hope it helps.

Old 08-08-2006, 12:45 AM

definetly worked... i put in some blue 194 bulbs and they don't show any blue light, they glow white... any idea what to do to make them show blue light?

thanks

Old 08-08-2006, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

those only show blue from far away, I bought cool blues thinking that they would be blue, nope only far away, but they are def brighter than my factory ones. Also, silver stars work great, they have a blue/white tint to 'em, glad everything worked out for you.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:25 AM

ok dont quote me on this but a buddy of mine had some ridiculously blue lights in his car and i asked about them. He said he had painted over the bulb with some kind of paint that that was transparent enough to project still. im not certain but i wanna say it was model paint or something weird like that. anyone else done or heard something like that? it souds pretty dumb to me but guess it could work.
i know another guy who has extremely blue lights that he bought that way, i think off ebay.
dunno much else bout it.

Old 08-08-2006, 03:37 PM

i think i have heard of painting bulbs but not to sure of which paint it is either

i have seen small rubber bulb covers for certain sized bulbs that glow deep colors but not sure if it could hold up to the heat those are putting out...

bagel are you saying even the small 194 bulbs will glow blue at a far distance? i'll check it out tonight.... when its dark...

i have silver star headlight bulbs but i'm assuming they don't make 194 bulbs if that what you were talking about...

thanks for the help guys

Old 08-09-2006, 11:36 AM

also, i dont know where you live and what the laws are, but here in Texas, the blue lights are a big No-No. then again theyll pull you over for anything around here.