Clutch Failure on a 96 GTI?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 03:08 AM
Default Clutch Failure on a 96 GTI?

Hey I'm new to this forum so sorry if I missed a similar post. Anyways, I am driving home tonight, and some wierd phenomenon develops. Between 1500 to 3000 rpm at max throttle the whole car would kind of shudder. It would just lurch forward and back untill it reached a higher rpm, almost like the clutch was catching and slipping, but the motor was in synch with this lurching so it doesn't seem like it was actually slipping. This only really developed today (however I started to notice it yesterday). Then as I climb a particularly steep hill, with a full carload at low rpm with full throttle (I know, worse circumstances) and round a turn, Ca-Chunk, it sounds like something drops. I promptly drop off my girlfriend (this happened right in front of her house) and turn off the car. Check to see if anything is strewn out on the road and proceed to pass it off as some wierd occurence. I hop back into the car, start rolling down the hill and all of a sudden this clunking noise comes back, but it physically tries to stop the car, like someone was sticking something in the wheel, the car was actually jerking violently. End of story: I nursed the car back home, and notice that at high rpms nothing would really happen, I would hear a strange noise but not really a clunking, but as I slowed down or engaged/disengaged the clutch, the clunking would come back and everynow and then something would catch and jerk the car. Is it just me or did my clutch fail?