'00 Passat ABS/BRAKE failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 01:28 PM
Default '00 Passat ABS/BRAKE failure

Hello guys and gals. I'm brand new VW owner. I also own 1993 Audi 100cs and 1989 Volvo 760 Trubo-brick. I just bought 2000 1.8T Passat with 36000 miles, yes 36000 miles 5 days ago and this VW is already giving me trouble. My ABS/Brake light is on, come to find out that module is bad and there is hundreds of complaints about this and VW is doing NOTHING about it. So I did some reaserch and found out from Volvo forums that you can acctualy open this module and re-solder some critical connections which in turn would fix this problem. Now has anyone attemped this with VW module? If so what would be easiest way to open this module without damaging any electical components? Thanks, Adis

Old 10-02-2006, 03:24 AM
Default RE: '00 Passat ABS/BRAKE failure

Funny, my 2000 also has the same light that just came on a few days a go. it goes off and on. i figured if it was a real problem it would stay on all the time. seems like the onboard computer may be acting up. my door locks also go up and down as if they had a mind of their own sometimes. when the locks start acting up the ABS light comes on a little bit later.

Have you heard anything about this issue yet? I heard from another site i need to rebuild part of teh ABS modual that controls the breaks.

-Donald

Old 11-30-2006, 04:14 PM

Try checking the sensors make sure they are plugged in... I replaced my CV Joint and they both came on and I found out that I had accidently forgot to plug in the sensor. Never hurts to check it.

Old 07-15-2007, 02:25 PM

I, too am now plagued by the ABS-Brake-STOP warning messages!After I was quoted $1400 to fix this by an out-of-state dealer, my local dealer told me that the ABS sensor now has 2 parts - a hydrolic part and an electronic part, so if only one fails maybe it's only an $800 job. Gee. This car has had several CV-boot fixes and also recently had front/rear rotors and brake pads replaced. Are these things related somehow?

Old 07-25-2007, 09:15 AM
TNK

I have a 2000 Passat 4 motion with a little over 80K and my light came on yesterday. Has anyone had successfixing this problem yet?

Old 08-10-2007, 10:32 AM

Back to the dealer for a diagnostic on the ABS situation -- I'm now looking at a $750 job to have the "ABS Control Module" replaced. Dealer offered no explanation for the cause of this failure, even though I pressed about recent pads/rotor work and CV boot/joint work on this car. Guess I'll just have to write a scathing letter to VW...

Old 08-10-2007, 04:05 PM
TNK

Well, I finally went to my dealer for an $85diagnostic yesterday. They quoted $766.49 to replace the ABS. The breakdown is listed as follows:
$212.50 for the labor, $10 for a "disposal" fee, $499 for the part, and $44.49 in tax. We haven't decided what to do yet but I'm becoming a little anxious b/c I have noticed a difference when braking and I don't like it!

Old 10-12-2007, 08:59 PM
TNK

Just wanted to add an update. My husband removed the ABS module from our car and we shipped it UPS Ground ($16.00)to BBA Remanufacturing. We were charged just over $150.00 which included return shipping/insurance. My husband put the module back on the car and we haven't seen the light since! Glad I didn't dish out the money the dealership wanted!

Old 03-18-2009, 09:55 AM

Had the same problem with my 2000 Passat. The only way to fix this is to repair/replace your ABS module. I brought my Passat into the dealer and was told I needed a new ABS module. Cost: $890. I found a company not far from me that that will rebuild your ABS module for $139 and guarantee it for as long as you own the car: BAA Reman, Taunton MA http://www.bba-reman.com/us/index.aspx. They also will sell you a rebuilt module for $199, but you must have the module re-coded, and my local dealer would not do that for me (nice guys, huh?). And you must send them your original module. If you have your own rebuilt and re-installed, no re-coding is necessary. So I had my local mechanic remove the module (you can still drive the car), and drove down to Taunton, MA where they are located. They were kind enough to do the rebuild on the spot (only takes about 45 mins.). Had lunch nearby and came back in 45 mins and took it home with me, had it re-installed by my local mechanic and problem solved! No more beeping, no more flashing lights. Total cost to me: $214 ($139 + $75 to remove and re-install). Highly recommend BAA Man. They couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating. Even have removal instructions on their website.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:59 AM
Default Same thing happened to my bro!

My bro had the same problem, really frustrating. He got the whole thing replaced by dealer but cost him over 900 I think.

Cheer u guys up- friend jst sent this to me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxjMhWgGc58

Quick Reply: '00 Passat ABS/BRAKE failure