Bent rim

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 10:06 AM
Default Bent rim

Hi there,

I am new to this board and new to owning a 2003 GTI. I also own a 2004 BMW 325Ci. My problem is that after I bought the GTI (silver w/27,000 miles on it) I found out that it has issues with the rims. One is bent and two of them have waves (which is how the dealer I bought the car from phrased it.) They are going to replace the one bent rim (we will split the cost, not happy about that, but that's a whole different rant.) My question is about the other rims with the waves...will they be an issue somewhere down the line? The rims are of course VW stock and about $400 a piece, so I am not up for replacing all of them. What do you guys think? There are also two different sets of tires on the car. Michelin's on the front Toyo proxies on the back..I assume I will buy two that will match...just haven't decided which way to go.
I know it's wacky and that should have thrown a red flag up front. Problem is I have been looking for a GTI for a while and this car is mint otherwise. Any thoughts, comments, suggestions? Thanks in advance.

DJ

Old 05-09-2006, 11:33 AM
Default RE: Bent rim

I'm not certain that it will ever give you a problem, with low-pro tires its ridiculously easy to bend a rim, though not all leak air. some will hold tight. I recently bent one of mine when driving through a parking lot. There was a puddle so i couldnt see the massive hole in the concrete and it jarred the car pretty good. Small bend but no sign of a leak yet. I was already shopping for aftermarket wheels though, so im just hoping it will hold out. you can find wheels for really cheap that look better than stockers if you shop around enough.
hope that helps
-joel

Old 05-09-2006, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Bent rim

I agree with Jeolzy, shouldn't give you a problem, maybe they ran along side of a curb or something. You bend a rim a lil bit, shouldn't cause a leak, but for those of us who have hit potholes at high speeds know, that rims toast cause it will throw everything off when driving. I'd def go with the proxies, the better of the 2 choices, afterwards you can shop around for better tires/rims. Maybe the tire place can do something bout those waves, it's worth asking bout.