16618 Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 03:42 PM
Default 16618 Turbo?

Okay, so ive had a 2003 Jetta TDI for 2 years. Its my baby and i love it! This summer i decided i was gonna swap engines with an other TDI because my whole injectors system was off and i had found a really good deal on a 2003 Jetta TDI and tought it wouldnt hurt to have spare parts!

When
i bought the car number 2, it ran really fine except i found it didnt have much acceleration but i figured id keep my turbo from my first car. When doing the swap i checked out the turbo from the spare car and it looked in pretty good shape so i thought it ought to be the boost pressure regulator so i just left it on the spare car and put the spare turbo in my car because it was gonna save me a bit of time and my boost pressure regulator worked fine for i had good acceleration on my first engine.

The swap went good, i was even suprised with a nice dualmass clutch instead of single, ive got nice parts EVERYWHERE in my garage and im very pleased with the outcome because i sold tuns of extra parts and payed off basically the car and even more.

SO, last week i was about to get on the autoroute so i down shifted to accelerate. I was rolling about 115km on fourth gear so my rpm must of been around 3000 rpm..
Then suddenly its as if my turbo turned off. Literally. My check engine light came on too. After that i couldnt even accelerate. Going up hills was a pity and it would take for ever to get to 120km. Anyways, i put myself in 5ft and cursed the whole ride back home.

When i got home i plugged my vagcom and it gave me this code: 16618
- Boost Pressure Regulation: Limit Exceeded (Overboost Condition). Now im thinking maybe my boost pressure regulator on my first car was maybe not to good or maybe the spare turbo wasnt as good as it looked or could it be the boost pressure valve?? I was just wondering if someone had something simular with their car and what else could it be that i may have missed or that i can try..

Im probably gonna buy a boost pressure sensor and see if it does the trick (Im hoping it does because my spare car and its parts take all the space in the garage and i dont wanna change the turbo in the cold.) Man, if i dont have a turbo all winter im gonna be so bummed :| Especially that my boyfriends car doesnt compensate.. ( He has a Kia rio5 and its automatic too. =P )