Volkswagen Golf
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo work, now car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 07:19 PM
Default Stereo work, now car won't start

So, I have a 96 Golf with an older aftermarket CD player.The radio reception is pretty poor with this old unit so I bought one of those antenna boosters to try out. I hooked it up to the main power into the stereo (red wire), and clicked the switch to be sure it worked. The little red light came on, but almost immediately my stereo shut down. I wasn't too worried, since if the stereo is off , the display shuts off after 30 sec. or so. So I turn the key on to seeif the stereo will come back on... no. I try to manually turn it back on... no. then I try to start the car to power up the stereo and NOW THE CAR DOESN'T START!!! (not to mention the stereo doesn't turn on).

The car cranks vigorously, all the other electronics, lights, gauges, etc work, all the fuses are fine, doesn't seem to be flooded.

I even disconnected thebattery, waited 15 mins and reconnected it , to 'reset it', which did nothing.

Oh yeah, and I disconnected the stereo and it did start back up once, but then when I shut it down and tried again its back to not starting again.

I'm really worried I wired something wrong and cooked something important somewhere...Please tell me I didn't futz up the computer or somethnig!

Anybody have any ideas?????Many thanks in advance!!!

Old 07-22-2007, 12:32 PM
Default RE: Stereo work, now car won't start

HI SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE A BLOWEN RELAY CHECK YOUR MAIN RELAY

Old 07-22-2007, 02:32 PM
Default RE: Stereo work, now car won't start

HI DONT WRITE IN CAPS PLEASE, THNX. Anyway, if your fuses and breakers are good then I dont see why it's doing it. Your stereo wouldnt have futzd the computerup.