Volkswagen Golf
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

speedometer/tachometer not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 06:51 PM
Exclamation vw golf gl 1996 instrument panel issues

i also have had iussues with my speedometre and tachometre starting first with issues with my speedo irratically reading all over the place and then eventually just stopped and now wiggles at 0kms and then the tacho stopped also i have replaced the instrument panel so what would be the problem?? i hope someone can help this issue has cost me alot of money for a car that is no longer worth very much...

Old 01-27-2013, 02:03 PM
Cool 90's VW CLUSTER FIX

Lurking for months .. finally giving back.
I imagine that many people will find this one to be very helpful

I had the exact same problem with the gauge cluster on my girlfriend's 1995 cabrio. swapped it with used cluster of similar year.. same problem again. tach and speedo worked intermittently. pound on the dash, they flicker,.. tried tying the wiring harness clip to the back of cluster with zip tie.. worked for a short time... problem persisted. took it apart again and looked really closely under bright light

FIXED IT!!
and six trouble free months later it's still working!!

If you have experienced intermittent function of speedo and/or tach and/or odometer.. there is a very good chance you can fix it yourself.. for less than 25.00.. or free if you have already or can get your hands on a soldering pen and solder

I believe this to be a problem from the factory. whatever robot or computer that sets these up was not aligning properly at the time (or for years maybe??) causing a cold solder joint which separates and is a persistent problem over many models sharing these clusters

1. remove gauge cluster
2. detach wiring clip
3. by removing the screws (torx on some, phillips on others) separate rear panel from cluster
4. inspect pins and surrounding solder where wiring clip attaches.
5. wiggle each pin with small screwdriver or tip of knife blade and examine for visible separation from solder on board
6. carefully, with soldering pen (gun's too big), heat solder at each pin ONLY until it liquifies and has shiny smooth texture. this only takes a couple of seconds.. DO NOT OVERHEAT as can damage board. allow to cool and harden.
7. re-inspect each pin.. no more wiggle?
8. re-assemble, road test, and enjoy

I found both of the gauges that i possess to have had the exact same problem with the exact same pins. now i have two perfectly functioning gauge clusters.

save yourself trouble and dolllars.. try this before you take it to the shop.. or suggest they look very closely at the wiring clip pins on the board if you do take it in.

those poor little vw mechanics, they'll never find this one themselves,... it's way too simple.

Cheers!!!
Allan of East Sooke

Old 08-17-2019, 04:36 PM

Did someone here say "super hero"???? NO??? THey should have!
Thank you a crap load!!! Amazing info

Old 09-13-2019, 03:43 AM

We just bought a 1995 Golf III 2.0L. The speedometer and tachometer do not work. They seem to vibrate at zero but not move beyond that. The odometer, dial lights, etc., all seem to work fine. Since I last wrote - I have seen the speed/tacho work once. Then back to zero next time I started.
auto clicker word unscrambler jumble solver
My history with Golfs: In the UK a 1975 Golf 1100L, a 1978 Golf 1300LS, a 1985 Golf 1.8L (company car), now my son has his first, a 1995 Golf III 2.0L.

Old 10-03-2019, 07:44 AM

There is BCM (Body Control Module) located under the dash on the left side. The BCM control all accessories, Interior and exterior lighting, and all dash lights etc, including your speedometer and tachometer issues. I shareit https://get-vidmateapk.com

Old 03-31-2021, 11:43 AM
Default cluster repair

Originally Posted by jcfarnham
We just bought a 1995 Golf III 2.0L. The speedometer and tachometer do not work. They seem to vibrate at zero but not move beyond that. The odometer, dial lights, etc., all seem to work fine. Since I last wrote - I have seen the speed/tacho work once. Then back to zero next time I started.

I've seen a few posts on this subject but no definitive answer on whether its likely to be the speedometer gear or an electrical connection behind the instrument cluster. I've now checked both. I pulled the speedo gear out and checked it - it appears almost new. I pulled the instrument cluster out and reseated connections - again no problems found.

Any ideas?

Jon Crossley

My history with Golfs: In the UK a 1975 Golf 1100L, a 1978 Golf 1300LS, a 1985 Golf 1.8L (company car), now my son has his first, a 1995 Golf III 2.0L.
Hello
Might be better to have your original part repaired at upfix.com

Here is the service link
https://www.upfix.com/product-catego...luster-repair/