Volkswagen Golf
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I? [Questions on my Golf]

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 05:50 AM
Default Should I? [Questions on my Golf]

Hey hey. First post, been lurking for some time now. Decided it was time to ask you all what you think.

I was browsing around the city and this tweaked out meth-head was selling his '96 Golf for $300, After talking to him (unfortunately) I ended up buying the car just for the sheer price and that it runs. Pretty well I might add. I wanted to throw somethings by you all and see what you think and if it's worth the time and money.

My Goal: I want to completely rebuild it and make it street-worthy. I love the more boxy frame style of the '96 and it handles pretty well. I also live in the desert, (about an hour from Las Vegas) so it was either going to be street-mod or dirt/sand-mod.

Problems so far:

- Rust. (There are a lot of rust spots) So I would need to replace all the fenders and doors.
- Missing sh*t. (Apparently it was "broken into" and they ripped off the inside of the doors (backseat doors, the front ones are damaged but in tact.)
- Doesn't lock. (This I will need to fix either way, but I think I will buy completely new doors)
- E-Brake hose to back drum is missing. (this is cheap and can be replaced, I am just waiting on the part)
- 205,XXX Miles. I have the receipt and such for the engine that was replaced at around 150,XXX Miles. So it's not that old, but all the hoses and nozzles need to be replaced.
- Interior is worn. It's old, has ripped up crap here and there, I will probably need a completely new interior.
- General maintenance. I just need to get under the hood and start replacing older things.

What I want to do about all that stuff: (in case anyone can help)

- Replace Fenders and Doors.
- Replace Exhaust.
- Drop a VR6 II engine into it.
- Replace most major parts from the ground up.
- Replace the interior.

My only issue is, that while I would love to get a newer Golf, my credit is horrible from when I turned 18 and the military (I am 25 now). So getting a new/used car will not be likely unless I get damn lucky. So I am kinda stuck thinking about where I want to go with this.