Volkswagen Golf
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance Air Filters

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 01:09 AM
Default Performance Air Filters

I was wonder if performance air filters actually help you get better gas milage or is that just what they say they do?

Old 06-22-2006, 12:32 PM
Jsd
Default RE: Performance Air Filters

If anything, "Performance Air Filters" are bought based on good marketing. They help get more air into the engine but it doesn't really do all that much more. You want good gas mileage don't drive your car hard. Getting the air filter is a waste of money. It won't do much with everything else stock. Meant to allow more air into the intake but if it's still restricted ie stock exhaust, stock pcm) then it's really a waste of money. They overcharge and the "cone" design is an extremely poor and inefficient design for induction. Like I said, just good marketing. Just keep your air filter clean, replace it, use the proper OCTANCE rated for your car, a lot of people make the mistake. Find out in your user manual which fuel you should be running. Maintain your car to it's max and you will get the best gas mileage and usage out of it.

Old 06-27-2006, 01:33 PM
Default RE: Performance Air Filters

I agree with JSD, I made a full custom intake for the truck i had before my vdub, cone and 3 inch tubing in... didnt do a damn thing until i opened up the exhaust to breathe. then there was a small difference but nothing to write home about. I like K&N filters though, they may not do much at all for performance, but i like being able to clean it and recharge it instead of buying another everytime(not to mention i got it for a quarter the price)
also what my man said about octane is way too true. you can really mess some stuff up if you use bad gas i.e. my buddy's WRX STI... he used 89 twice in it because he was broke and ended up having to shop his car and they ended up replacing the turbo, parts of the fuel system and numerous other parts. probably wasnt the only reason it happened but it was definitely the trigger. Therefore, i dont mess with it... i use shell Vpower 93 always