Volkswagen Golf
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MK4 Automatic Interlock always on HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 04:44 PM
Default MK4 Automatic Interlock always on HELP

Hello everyone, this is my first post here so sorry if it is in the wrong spot.
I have a minor problem that I can't wrap my head around. I drive a 2001 golf MK4 2.0l and recently noticed that the shift Interlock solenoid is always getting 12v and causing it to stay open (I can shift without holding the brake)

Usually in order to shift out of park one must depress the brake.
But I can shift from any gear/park into anything else without needing to depress the brake.
The indicator light that shows a foot flicks on for .5 seconds then off when I turn the key or start the car. Also the solenoid fires briefly during this (so solenoid works)(I also tested solenoid with separate 12v source and it works fine)
It is as if the car thinks I'm pressing the brake.
I've checked the brake switch (it triggers the brake light perfectly and also correctly shows continuity where it should) Im guessing that the 4 pin wire from the brake switch goes into the bcu/comfort control module and the controller must output signal to the 2 pin solenoid.
I measured the solenoid and it is always getting 12v when the car is on which is the problem. This doesn't change when I push on the working brake switch.

I'd love some input. This isn't a showstopping problem but I can't wrap my head around it.

Note: I've checked the 11, 15, and 31 fuse. All are good. The 11 fuse when pulled cuts power to the solenoid.
I've also unplugged the bcu/comfort module's 2 large connectors and neither cut power to the solenoid.

Matt

2001 Golf MK4 2.0L Automatic Candy White, Blue LED Conversion, Aftermarket sound system

Last edited by Dereelmatts; 02-27-2019 at 04:48 PM. Reason: More info
Old 02-28-2019, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Default Welcome to Volkswagen Forum - Rules & Recommendations

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.

Please tell us your car spec in your signature

Old 02-28-2019, 01:54 PM

As I said, this isn't an urgent problem, and my first post has to start somewhere. Also i've seen nothing online so i'm starting this thread as a way for others and myself to give input and solve this problem.
I only include things that I think will further this discussion.

I've already done an vcds scan and no errors pop up which is why I didn't include that aspect.
But my 2001 golf is a rather early model it seems so the cent. elect. can not be scanned.

I just want some discussion. If the brake light switch works, the brake lights work, and the solenoid works, then there has to be some control module between the solenoid and the brake light switch. Is this correct?

Matt

2001 Golf MK4 2.0L Automatic Candy White, Blue LED Conversion, Aftermarket sound system

Old 08-05-2019, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Dereelmatts
As I said, this isn't an urgent problem, and my first Sarkari Result Pnr Status 192.168.l.l post has to start somewhere. Also i've seen nothing online so i'm starting this thread as a way for others and myself to give input and solve this problem.
I only include things that I think will further this discussion.

I've already done an vcds scan and no errors pop up which is why I didn't include that aspect.
But my 2001 golf is a rather early model it seems so the cent. elect. can not be scanned.

I just want some discussion. If the brake light switch works, the brake lights work, and the solenoid works, then there has to be some control module between the solenoid and the brake light switch. Is this correct?

Matt

Last edited by paityda; 08-05-2019 at 09:35 AM.