Volkswagen Golf
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP HELP HELP (Self reving Engine)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 02:27 PM
Default HELP HELP HELP (Self reving Engine)

Hi i jus recently bought a 1989 vw golf 8v 2 door hatch for $1200 NZD anyway we knew that the engine revs by it self wen trying to idle but its anoying me now. an example of this is: ill be driving and slowing down to stop. put my foot on the clutch then the engine will drop revs to about 100rpm then 50% of the time itl stall the other 50% of the time itll rev it self up to about 3000rpm. this is anoying me. please help.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:37 PM
Default RE: HELP HELP HELP (Self reving Engine)

While many things can cause similar symptoms...

Check for a vacuum leak as a good jumping off point.

Almost any car will exhibit the 'bouncy idle' you are describing if it has a vacuum leak.

Plus you car is just about the right age for the vacuum hoses to have begun to oxidize and decay.

The way I have gone about this is to disconnect the vacuum hose from the manifold (eliminating all vacuum to see the state of operation, then work my way up the system

Vacuum hose is pretty cheap. Anything even a little suspect (dry crack) I replace. Use some rubber preseravitve to lube the joints. Avoid the petroleum based lubes. Tubing that is in OK shape I coat with rubber preservative. It iws a good idea to clean and protect all the underhood rubber in your car anyway.

If it fixes the problem, great. Otherwise you might need some more diagniostic work. A diagnostic tool is a good idea, or employ a mechanics talent.

Invest in the full technical manual for your car. It will run new about 100 bucks (maybe a little more) but will be well worth it. Shop for used one online to save some dough, but don't count on getting lucky.

My opinion - Always run good high octane gas in your older golf too. Use a gas line dewaterer (iso-alcohol) every 4th tank in humid weather. Use a fuel injector cleaner as needed, but at least every 3 months.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:39 AM

thanks heaps. the vaccum hoses to my intake wer shot nd had a hole i could fit my pinky fingure into. i replaced them and now its runs awesumly. next thing i need to knw is how low can i go with out modifying my car and it has 205/45/16's on it. thanks

Old 02-19-2008, 03:25 PM

dont lower it just swap the head with the 16 valve and go out and rape hondas