Volkswagen Golf
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 Golf 1.9D brake discs

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2024, 11:53 AM
Question 1998 Golf 1.9D brake discs

Hi all, first post on this one and wonder if anybody can help please.

I have just inherited a very old Golf, 1.9 naturally asthmatic diesel estate, registered in Oct 1998. It's only got 19,500 miles from new and belonged to my father who bought it new from VW exports in the UK, shipped it to the Falkland Islands where I live and the car is located, and used it occasionally for many years up until he passed away earlier in the year. I am not sure if it is a Mk3 or Mk4 but think probably a Mk3, it was right on the change of model and I seem to remember he got it cheap as an outgoing model.

I need to get it roadworthy and the most immediate issue is that the front brakes are badly corroded and judder horribly under braking - new discs definitely needed.The rest of the car is in ridiculously good nick for a 26 year old vehicle due to the mileage - which is absolutely genuine, it's barely been used and drives perfectly as long as you don't use the middle pedal....

Looking at various suppliers there are umpteen different types, how would I know what I need? It is the bog standard basic spec estate with the 1.9 D, even has old fashioned wind-up windows, so would guess the most basic brakes but I know nothing about VWs at all (quite active on Land Rover forums, don't throw things at me)

Can anybody point me towards what I need to know or check to get the right items please? Obviously with living in the Falkland Islands I'm getting bits and shipping them 8,000 miles to get here, so it will take a couple of months anyway and sending wrong stuff back really isn't an option.

Thanks!