Volkswagen recommend me a code scanner

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 04:18 PM
Default Volkswagen recommend me a code scanner

Hi all. After doing some research I can't really find a definitive answer on which code reader I should get.

I have a ford ranger, nissan maxima, chrysler voyager, kia sedona, and a 98 volkswagen cabrio in the driveway. All are 98 or newer.

Preferably I would Like to find something that works well with all these vehicles. The Actron line seems to indicate all there products will work with Volkswagen, and after contacting them they said there is a bug in the VW OBDII system that glitches the scanners sometimes.

So I'm curious what you all are using, and what you think my best choice would be.

Rite now I have p1580 code i got from the inspector(actron lists as - Manufacturer Controlled Vehicle Speed, Idle Control And Auxiliary Inputs). So I would like to have something that can scan this code, as well as clear it after I clean out the throttle body.

The ABS light is on still after repairing a brake-line in the rear of the vehicle as well, so i would like to find something that can clear this code as well.

The Local vw mechanic wants $72 just to read and clear codes, seems like it would be incredibly more efficient to buy something myself...Especially where I am fairly capable of doing a lot of work myself.

Thanks for any advice ^.^

Old 12-21-2010, 02:38 PM

I bought scanner software that goes through my laptop. It's made by Auto Enginuity and should cover your car (it covers many). So far it's worked for me pretty well (I ave a Focus SVT and VW Jetta) for me, but it's expensive ($500) and some people haven't had much luck - although those who have bad luck are the ones most likely to post.