General Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Use an OBD II Scanner

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 08:55 PM
Default How to Use an OBD II Scanner

An OBD2 code scanner is the second version with the On-Board Diagnostics tool, which monitors engine functions. If a vehicle's engine experiences a malfunction, the "Check Engine" light comes on. An OBD-II scanner can access the resulting trouble codes inside the vehicle's diagnostic laptop or computer, or power train control module. This computerized hand held device can only interact with autos produced in 1996 and later. Earlier autos use older diagnostic systems which differ depending on the car manufacturer. Applying an OBD-II scanner is reasonably quick, and accessing difficulty codes only requires several minutes.

Instructions
Ensure the automobile is turned off. Locate the Information Link Connector under the steering wheel. This can be an outlet that permits access towards the diagnostic laptop, which in most automobiles is on the driver side.

Connect your OBD2 code scanner to the Information Link Connector. The scanner cable has in a 16-pin plug that need to naturally fit in to the outlet.

Insert your vehicle's important in to the ignition cylinder and switch to "On." Based on the brand of OBD-II device, you may also ought to turn the engine on and let it to idle.

Turn the device on, if it did not auto-activate itself.

Key inside a command to "read" or "scan" the diagnostic technique. How to do this is determined by the brand of OBD2 code scanner device that you are applying. Button layout differs from model to model, and some devices might use a menu program. Exact code retrieval instructions shall be positioned in your device's handbook.

Read by the difficulty codes on your device's read-out screen. Copy these codes down onto a sheet of paper. Some devices are USB equipped and can connect directly to a computer system with a USB cable. Should you have this sort of OBD-II scanner, device-to-desktop connectivity will covered within your scanner's handbook.

Appear up the difficulty codes in your device's handbook. Normally, generic OBD-II codes are positioned in an appendix toward the back. They are the standardized generic codes very good for all OBD-II compliant autos. Companies also possess a supplementary set. A vehicle's owner's manual won't have these codes. You will need to be appear them up on line or within a repair manual for the particular automobile.

Turn the vehicle's electrical technique off. For those who had to begin the engine, turn it off at the same time. Unplug the OBD-II scanner's diagnostic cord from the outlet and turn the device off.

Last edited by Keithuk; 08-27-2013 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Spam removed
Old 10-15-2012, 02:34 PM

can you let me know if there is one that will work on a 2003 Passat 1.8T?

Old 10-15-2012, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

There are loads of cheap EOBD II scanners on the market that will read and erase DLC error codes but the best one on the market for any VAG vehicle is VCDS.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:57 AM

How do i use an OBD II scanner....?
...To erase a "check engine soon" light that was caused from not puting my gas cap on tightly. Do I hook it up to something ? Where do i find it ? What is it im hooking it up to ???

Old 10-16-2012, 05:45 AM
Super Moderator

You use it as instructed by the manufacturer. All EOBD scanners plug into the 16 pin Data Link Connector (DLC) socket somewhere in the vehicle depending on the model. These can be under the dash on the drivers side, behind a panel in the centre console.

I've never heard of the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) coming on because the gas cap was put on too tightly. What model do you have?

https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ne...gnature-34185/