TPS Sensor Replaced with new codes

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 09:49 AM
Default TPS Sensor Replaced with new codes

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum so I apologize if there has already been a thread on this. My cabrio was going into "limp mode" and threw a code for a bad TPS sensor. I replaced the Throttle body, the codes went away and it ran great for a 1/2 hr. I then took it for a ride and when I started to accelerate I abruptly lost all power. Almost got whiplash. I plugged in my scanner and it threw 2 codes: P0121 "Throttle/Pedal PositionSensor/ Switch A CircuitRange/Performance" & "P1544- Throttle Actuation Potentiometer Signal too High" I am wondering if anyone else know what is going on? I did read somewhere that the flash memory may have been erased?

Any help would be great!!!

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-01-2019, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Default Welcome to Volkswagen Forum - Rules & Recommendations

VAG Error Code: 16505/5286/000289
EOBD II Error Code: P0121

Fault Location:
Throttle Position Sensor (G69) - Implausible Signal

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.
Poor engine performance.

Accelerator cable adjustment.
Throttle position sensor (G69).
Wiring/Connector(s)/Wiring Harness issue.
Failed Throttle Body.
Failed Engine Control Module (ECM).
Check for water ingress.

Possible Solutions:
Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
Throttle Position Sensor 1 - Throttle Position Sensor 2 > 6.30%.
Actual Throttle Position Sensor 1 calculated value > Throttle Position Sensor 2 calculated value.
Throttle Position Sensor 1 calculated value > 9.00%.
Test wiring as per Factory Repair Manual

Special Notes:
For some vehicles, there may be a Technical Product Information (TPI) with instructions on replacing the terminals for the throttle body.
Some Engine Control Module (ECM)s may have a firmware update to address this issue during cold weather.
The component identifier Throttle Position Sensor (G69) may be Angle Sensor 1 for Throttle Actuator (G187) per the wiring diagrams for the vehicle in question.

When is the code detected?:
Malfunction is detected when an excessively low or high voltage from the sensor is sent to Engine Control Module (ECM).

Description:
The throttle position sensor responds to the accelerator pedal movement. This sensor is a kind of potentiometer which transforms the throttle position into output voltage, and emits the voltage signal to the Engine Control Module (ECM). In addition, the sensor detects the opening and closing speed of the throttle valve and feeds the voltage signal to the Engine Control Module (ECM).

Idle position of the throttle valve is determined by the Engine Control Module (ECM) receiving the signal from the throttle position sensor. This sensor controls engine operation such as fuel cut. On the other hand, the Wide open and closed throttle position switch, which is built into the throttle position sensor unit, is not used for engine control.

VAG Error Code: 17952/005444
EOBD II Error Code: P1544

Fault Location:
Angle Sensor 1 for Throttle Actuator (G187) - High Input/Short Circuit to Positive

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.

Wiring/Connector(s) short to positive.
Angle Sensor 1 for Throttle Actuator (G187).

Possible Solutions:
Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB), usually MVB 062.
Check Throttle Valve Actuator Module (J338).

As taken from my new EOBD II Fault Codes Software