Timing belt and other preventative maintenance

Old 10-29-2017, 05:43 PM
Default Timing belt and other preventative maintenance

Hi All,

New here. My Aunt recently gifted me a 2001 Cabrio GL with about 101,000 miles on it. She took great care of it, keeping it in the garage during winter and regular oil changes. Clutch was rebuilt at some point as well (not exactly sure when).

The car is currently in the shop with reputable VW mechanic who is fixing the broken gas gauge. I told him to please check any hoses, battery, and anything else that may be important. Since I received the car for free, I am willing to put some money into it now, as well as routine maintenance going forward so that I can get plenty of life from it.

My question is, since VW recommends replacing the timing belt at 105k, and my car is already in the shop for something else, should I just bite the bullet and have the mechanic replace the timing belt and water pump now? I know it will be a bit costly, but I as I said I am willing to put some money into it now to avoid any bigger problems down the line.

If anyone can also chime in regarding other things I should be looking out for? Oil was recently changed and tires were rotated. When my aunt gave it to me she said the brakes had about 85% life in the rear and 45% in the front. I plan to use the car mostly for pleasure on the weekends, and to take care of some jobs (I travel around NYC, NJ, CT, MA for work) and I would like to make sure I get the most out of this car by nipping anything and everything in the bud.

Thanks for any information. Looking forward to your advice.

Best regards,
Rob

Old 10-30-2017, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Don't think that making an intro will fix this comment as you've already ask the question.

The spec I have from AD says timing belt replacement every 4 years regardless of mileage.