Moldy 98 Cabrio GLS

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 02:14 PM
Default Moldy 98 Cabrio GLS

Hi -- I have a 1998 VW Golf Cabrio GLS, the higher-trim model with leather seating and a Twillfast® II Haartz cloth top, instead of the cloth seats and vinyl composite tops of the "GL" model. The leather seats and the Haartz-cloth top are my problems.

I live on the Connecticut shoreline which, believe it or not -- and I don't believe it in Winter! -- is designated in climatological terms as a "temperate rainforest" zone, like the Pacific Northwest. Here, Spring is mold and fungus season, and my Cabrio is always parked outside. As a result, I have what looks like moss growing on the North side of my Haartz cloth top, and as I sometimes leave it parked overnight with the top down (we're out in the country), I have what look like the kind of mold spots on my leather seats that you'd see in a damp bathroom. I've tried Griot's regular leather cleaner, as well as VW's, on the seats with no effect. The seats -- Oyster white -- have many surface cracks that expose the natural leather color underneath that I'd like to make look a little better.

As for the top, I'm afraid to use anything too harsh (like diluted bleach, which we use to power-wash the moss off our house roof) on the Haartz cloth. Can you suggest products or procedures that will work for these three problems?

Thanks!

Bart Brown