2002 Cabrio Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 07:51 PM
Default 2002 Cabrio Won't Start

Hey all,

I have an 02 Cabrio, 2.0L automatic that I've had nothing but issues out of . The most recent one occurred today; as I was driving, I felt a shudder and the engine and gauges shut off, as if I had turned off the key. Through fiddling with it I discovered that if I turned the key really hard, it would start, but as soon as I let off (into the "ON" position) the car would shut off again. When I turn the key to "on", I get none of the lights or alarms that I usually get when you turn the car on without starting it (check engine, oil pressure, little "dee dee DEE" noise the car makes). I've checked all the under-dash fuses, as well as the two fuseable links I found under the hood. I'm almost certain it's a fuseable link issue, but I can't figure out where it would be.

I don't think it's the ignition switch, because I can hear the relay for the fuel pump click on when I turn the key to on, so it's obviously registering it on some circuit, just not getting all the way to the computer I guess...

I read a few things about the alarm circuit possibly shutting down the car. I did have a few problems with the alarm when the external key lock on the driver's side door broke, but I would think it wouldn't start at all if that were the case, but the start works...any advice would be extremely helpful.

Update: I've replaced the ignition switch, and it gave some strange results. Rather than the key not turning ON, now the key wouldn't turn OFF. Even with the key off, I could still operate the windows, listen to the radio...it was like it was stuck in Accessory. This time, I could turn the key on and the lights would turn on, it would beep, just like normal. When I switched to "Start", however, nothing. No clicks, no anything...I'd really like to get this fixed, if anyone has any ideas please let me know

Last edited by Tjololo; 05-29-2011 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Update