HELP! Please... electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 10:33 AM
Default HELP! Please... electrical issues

hi all, I am having some issue with the electrical system in my 2000 cabrio...

Here is what is going on...

1. The fog/driving lights are not working... I have replaced the bulbs, checked the fuses? don't know where is to look?

2. when I turn the blinker on, either left or right, and the lights are on, all the rear lights "blink"?

I don't know where to turn but here...

hope someone can help,

Brook

Old 12-17-2009, 04:15 PM
Talking perhaps i can help

well what it sounds like is a short for either one or both. now im new to vw's but i do imports all the time. i recently owned a 95 hoda prelude jdm style right hand drive 550 hp import. lol. so lets see, they cant be that different.

all cars have wires and issues. the blinker issue, seems like a wire is crossed with another and its causing you to set them both off. perhaps a relay for the lights may not be the right kind or is messed up or faulty. also check that you dont have a leak in your trunk that might be getting your lights or wires wet. ummm anything else..... maybe a fuse with the wrong amperage. i doubt that one but its worth checking.

as for the fog lights. if they are stock then check the connections in the area you screw the bulb into. or dry it out and clean it. maybe even sand the metal contacts on the inside. if that doesnt work.... look for a aftermarket switch that should be glowing and in the engine bay by the battery. also check that the wires are all connected because from experience, sometimes the fogs are in line circuts, like christmas bulbs, one goes out they all do.

anyways i hope i helped so be sure to contact me and let me know, hope i got to you soon enough.

chris

Old 12-17-2009, 04:16 PM

vw electrical problems

Old 12-26-2009, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by cmacs vw cabrio 388hp dyno
vw electrical problems
Let's see this '388 hp cabro'

check for power at the socket with a test light. Then just check everything back.
It does sound like a short of some sort. Check connectors of front and rear turn signals for arcs. ie. water, grease, busted plastic etc.

Unless it's a switch, I don't think this is a replace it fix. You just gotta spend a bunch of time poking with a test light.